Exercise Experience? Anyone?

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
I have been testing my BG pre- exercise and after few times.
From this observation, I found out that exercise tend to raise my bg level by 25-30 points :meh:
I had only one time, exercising with lower BG level afterwards.
What are your experience?
This far, I have been hesitating a little to do my usual fast walking routine because of this.
But now I slowly gaining more weight again, even tho on very low carb diet.
Phew, what a mystery...
I am feeling like experimenting again today, so now equipped with my BG meter for testing, insulin pen packed, a big bottle of water - I am ready for my walk (and maybe some Pokemon Go -OHOHO- walk :cat::cat: in the neighborhood).

:brb::brb::brb:

BG now before activity 104 mg/dl

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been testing my BG pre- exercise and after few times.
From this observation, I found out that exercise tend to raise my bg level by 25-30 points :meh:
I had only one time, exercising with lower BG level afterwards.
What are your experience?
This far, I have been hesitating a little to do my usual fast walking routine because of this.
But now I slowly gaining more weight again, even tho on very low carb diet.
Phew, what a mystery...
I am feeling like experimenting again today, so now equipped with my BG meter for testing, insulin pen packed, a big bottle of water - I am ready for my walk (and maybe some Pokemon Go -OHOHO- walk :cat::cat: in the neighborhood).

:brb::brb::brb:

BG now before activity 104 mg/dl
Exercise can raise blood sugar in people with diabetes. To put it simply, the liver releases glucose when it realises that you are using up more energy than normal. This, in most cases, seems to happen when you are partaking in cardio based/intensive exercise. It is less noticeable when undertaking longer more moderate exercise such as a long walk or slow paced endurance cycle.

The numbers you've given (25-30 points) in terms of your BG increase are so small it's basically not important. I really wouldn't worry about that rise in blood glucose. In our language it equates to around 1.5mmol/L which is rather insignificant.

Everyone is different and it will just take some trial and error on your part to work out how much insulin to take before, during or possibly after exercise. With me, I notice there is a small spike at the start of exercise which then gradually tapers off throughout the activity. Depending on what exercise I'm doing, I typically need carbs throughout. My BG also continues to fall post exercise for a few hours so I tend to have a 20/30g carb snack after to keep me stable.

It may be worth checking to see if your BGL comes down in the hours following exercise. Also, I wouldn't give up on your exercise for the sake of a 1.5mmol/L BG increase. The effects and benefits of exercise well outweigh that of your tiny BG rise:)

Regards,
Grant

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise can raise blood sugar in people with diabetes. To put it simply, the liver releases glucose when it realises that you are using up more energy than normal. This, in most cases, seems to happen when you are partaking in cardio based/intensive exercise. It is less noticeable when undertaking longer more moderate exercise such as a long walk or slow paced endurance cycle.

The numbers you've given (25-30 points) in terms of your BG increase are so small it's basically not important. I really wouldn't worry about that rise in blood glucose. In our language it equates to around 1.5mmol/L which is rather insignificant.

Everyone is different and it will just take some trial and error on your part to work out how much insulin to take before, during or possibly after exercise. With me, I notice there is a small spike at the start of exercise which then gradually tapers off throughout the activity. Depending on what exercise I'm doing, I typically need carbs throughout. My BG also continues to fall post exercise for a few hours so I tend to have a 20/30g carb snack after to keep me stable.

It may be worth checking to see if your BGL comes down in the hours following exercise. Also, I wouldn't give up on your exercise for the sake of a 1.5mmol/L BG increase. The effects and benefits of exercise well outweigh that of your tiny BG rise:)

Regards,
Grant

Wow thanks for this Grant.
I took tiny unit of insulin to help me stabilise my afternoon after work out BG. But I found out that after morning exercise BG is fine :) Hotter in the arvo I suppose.

Best Wishes,
Aini

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thanks for this Grant.
I took tiny unit of insulin to help me stabilise my afternoon after work out BG. But I found out that after morning exercise BG is fine :) Hotter in the arvo I suppose.

Best Wishes,
Aini

No worries at all, happy to have helped:)

Grant

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
On VLCD atm (2 days and counting) and my after exercise bgl was ranging from 5.2 - 5.5 :) never happened before with normal after activity range of 7.5 or more :) oh feeling so good!!!

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
One thing I notice as I'm active in sporting activities - when I'm in a competition like a triathlon, I'll of course put all my energy and focus in to it and the ensuing Adrenalin will significantly push my sugars from normal to very high. Yet, when I do non-competitive endurance activities like long distance canoeing, cycling or hiking my BGs remain stable and continue to drop for a couple of hours after the activity. For that reason I prefer non-competitive endurance activities, But having said that it might depend on the person and I'm Type 1 maybe it's different for someone with Type 2.