Exercise ideas after abdominal surgery - borderline type 2

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Can anyone recommend exercise besides walking that might help lower my blood sugar? After abdominal surgery 3 weeks ago, diet alone is not enough to stop me waking at 7.2 (129), having gone to bed shaking at 4.9 (89). I can't walk far, swim, or do much involving my stomach muscles.

PS And when do I ask my doctor if my prediabetes is now diabetes?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Excercise after surgery is a tricky one. I cannot excercise but have lowered my bg anyway, diet is more important. As to your fasting bg in the morning, this may be due to Dawn Phenomena (liver dump), try to eat a little or drink a creamed coffee as soon as you wake to stop your bg continuing to rise.

Your HbA1c results will tell you if you are pre diabetic or if you have Type 2 diabetes. Are you due a test soon? What was your last result?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone recommend exercise besides walking that might help lower my blood sugar? After abdominal surgery 3 weeks ago, diet alone is not enough to stop me waking at 7.2 (129), having gone to bed shaking at 4.9 (89). I can't walk far, swim, or do much involving my stomach muscles.

PS And when do I ask my doctor if my prediabetes is now diabetes?

Hi swissmiss - If I could just raise a couple of points, please.

If you have just had surgery, there is the possibility your bloods may be running a little higher than usual, due to your body actually having had that surgery and it is recovering. Not everyone experiences this, so don't be too keen to be diagnosed just yet! You should remain vigilant though.

In terms of your exercise challenges, you might find this link interesting: https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press...ber/standing-up-helps-prevent-type-2-diabetes

About a year ago, I heard the researcher for this piece speak, and I was mightily impressed by the impact of just standing up for 5 minutes an hour. Anything on top of that is fantastic, but the actual deployment of the large muscle groups to physically stand did have an impact on blood glucose numbers. Perhaps that's something you could try?

Personally, I'm not a gym bunny, but after hearing of this work, I pledged to myself, I would try to do this where possible. It's not as onerous as it might seem. I also make sure I use a loo on a different floor from where I am. In other words, if I am downstairs and need to use the loo, I'll go upstairs, and vice versa. Cleary if the call of nature happens during the night, I cut myself some slack.

I don't know what sort of guidance your surgeon gave you, but after my hysterectomy (several years ago now), I was able to start swimming from 4-weeks, post-op, so I swam every day. I wasn't breaking an records, but I was just doing steady lengths of the pool, and felt fantastic on it.

I wish you well for your ongoing recovery.

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks Guzzler, last HBA1c was 44. I've no idea when they would test again as I've had the Eatwell advice & been sent on my way. I've done some middle of the night readings and it's staying steadily up.

leahkian

If you feel that you may be type 2 then you can ask your GP for a blood test and you can go from there. Exercise wise i was on the well being program at my GP. I did a few exercises using a chair holding on to the back of the chair and standing up and down on my tiptoes, then still hold the chair swing my leg to the side on both legs and a final one holding the back of the chair putting your heal in front of you and then taking it back to your tiptoes( just like a walking motion) with both feet. Sitting on the chair and stretch your leg as far as you can and then point your toes out, marching while sitting on the chair and while sitting on the chair raise your hands from the side of your body so the reach above your head. You could try these but if you get any pain then stop.