Exercise + ketones

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, I am looking for some advice please. Sorry for the long post...

I am 26, type 1, diagnosed just over two years ago, I am pretty switched on with diabetes having an older brother who has grown up with it and both parents in the medical profession. I carb count and have good control of my diabetes.

I have just stared eating low carb and exercising every day with a view to losing a stone.

I lost about 5lbs last week. I have been taking 15 Lantus, 3 nova rapid with brekkie, none with lunch (salad and 10g carbs), and maybe one unit or none with dinner...due to exercise I'm finding I don't need insulin for the amount of carbs I'm eating at dinner.

I noticed yesterday I was drinking lots so tested for ketones and showed levels of 1.5 (classed as moderate). They were back to normal by this morning, and up again after running this evening.

My blood sugars are normal, around 6. Am I right in saying as long as the ketones aren't consistently there and my blood sugars are normal I need not worry about the ketones and they are normal cos I'm losing weight by burning fat ?!

Any advise would be appreciated please :)!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am a low-carbing T1 (around 30g/day) and my ketones are normally in the 1.5-3.5 range with normal blood sugars. This is the normal range for nutritional ketosis.

ketosis-for-HCG-diet.jpg

Obviously if you are ever ill or have high BG and have ketones, then you should follow sick day rules.