Exercise

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hands up if you exercise. How does it affect your control?
I’ll start us off.
I’m a 57 year old swimming addict and love my twice weekly, instructor led, training sessions. I also garden with an in Bloom group, walk regularly, particularly when on holiday (find laying on sun loungers boring.)
Control? Well that’s an interesting one. That swim raises my levels in the following hours. Adrenalin is my nemesis. Always have to inject afterwards. Then the following morning comes the crash. (I should have shares in Jelly Babies)
It’s a rollercoaster, but the benefits outweigh the downsides.
I’m a dab hand at overdoing it and feeling exhausted, but am a bit long in the tooth to change now.

Reactions: kev-w

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @becca59 . It's a nightmare isn't it. We try so hard to have more control and improve our overall wellbeing only for the diabetes to try it's hardest to mess it all up.
Heavy weights for an hour up the gym can see me go from 6 upto 15+ within the space of half hour. Using a dexcom has been a real eye opener for me. I now inject bolus prior to a heavy weights session, training with IOB, seems crazy but actually works wonders.
Cardio workout, totally the opposite. Start at 6 finish an hour later at 3. Carbs are the order of the day prior to a cardio workout, have to be careful though, I mean who wants to train on top of food?
Another problem as you know is the post workout drop. It usually hits me upto 6 hours later. Eating for something that's going to happen whilst asleep is always an interesting conundrum.:):):).
One thing for sure. I will never not exercise because I'm diabetic.

Reactions: becca59 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise & control? That made me chuckle a bit.

Swimming tends to drop my bloods, pre libre I'd carb load with a small mars bar to around 12 and 45 minutes later be down at 8 and dropping fast, but swimming for half hour seems to need less loading, I've had tingles in my fingers at 1500m and got out and found my blood at 2.7, hence me loading. (yesterday tho I did 1175 in 26 minutes, going in at around 8 and coming out at 10 )

This rising bloods with weights? I don't see that often, today I've trended high, did gym during my lunch starting at 9, stuck there for half hour and started dropping mid session, I had a couple of glucose tabs and it carried on dropping to 4.7, which I'd put down to the temporary insulin resistance being removed by the exercise, or my age catching up :p

Quite agree @therower, I'd never not exercise because I'm diabetic although I can vary times & days to suit swings.

Edit, you mention training on top of food, for years in my 20s I did my rugby training after an evening meal twice a week and struggled with stitch for about 8 years :)

RuthieSadler

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a newbie (week 3), I swim a lot which reduces my glucose but found weights increases slightly - early days but closely monitoring.