Exercise

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On this forum, I seem to see an awful lot about carbs, a little about medication and very little indeed about what I see as the third part of the equation: exercise.
I've several times read along the lines, well a type 1 can take insulin a type 2 can't do anything if their blood sugar is high
I'm a type 1 and exercise plays a huge part in keeping my BS at a low level. By exercise, I mean a long hilly walk, running, cycling rather than yoga/ pilates type (which I also do but doesn't normally seem to affect BS readings by much). If I go for more than a couple of days without , then my BS levels start creeping up. The odd time when I have unexceptedly high BS, if I can I'll go for a run, use a static bicycle or (recently) hula hoop on the wii fit to reduce them rather than using an insulin correction dose. If I have a larger than normal meal, then I'll deliberately plan a walk after. It works for me.
I'm sure I'm not the only one. What do others do, and perhaps more to the point, how effective is it for you?

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Hiya Phoenix, and welcome to the forum in case I missed you before. I'm a recently diagnosed Type 2 and, like most others, a combination of bad diet, lack of exercise, long hours at work etc etc etc probably has not really done me any good over the years - hence i'm now suffering. Since december last year i've lost 3 stone, and not through dieting because, if anything, i've always had a huge appetite and continued to eat all the bad stuff that i'd always etaten since becoming a car salesman back in 1994 - prior to that I was a milkman at a nice 13 stone somethng so go figure !

Now i'm seeing the error of my ways, i've actually gone and registered with a gym to increase my fitness levels. New bike has just arrived, and i'm now walking where I can whereas before I would just jump in the car and drive - all down to sheeer laziness on my part. I probably walk a good few miles each day just at work, plus up and down the stairs gives me a head start on the cardiovascular workout and i'm actually beginning to see the benfits of this - my BM's are still high but i've been told the Metformin will start to kick in soon.
I do travel a fair bit with work, so will always find a hotel with a swimming pool at the very least, if they have a gym then even so much better I think

Hmmmmmmm - I may have gone on a bit here, but in a nutshell exercise can only be good for you if taken in the right moderation

Jim

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hi, over the last 6 months I have lost over a stone through portion control and reducing my carbs (not to Bernstein levels - just reducing portion sizes and not having carbs with every meal) I have also upped my exercise level to between 30 - 60 minutes of walking every day and using my exercise bike every day for at least 15 minutes (not much I know - but it makes a difference). I have also cut out all crisps and replaced them with nuts/cheese/one small bit of chocolate when I need it :D I am now under 11 stone and can get back in my size 12 jeans!

caroluk

I m very active at work - walk to work and on my feet for 90% of the day.

One hour after my evening meal i go on my exercise bike and have just upped my time to 30 minutes and i am managing 8.68 miles in that time. I am aiming for 10 miles in 30 minutes.

2 hours after meals i am always under 6.2 and a few time under 6 soyes i believe my exercise really plays a big part.

I feel healthier and i have lost 18lbs in 8 weeks.

Carol xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I too have lost weight, about 2 1/2 stone in 16months( pretty slow). I did it by low carb and exercise. I do aqua exercise twice weekly and walk with health walk groups, 2 to 3 times a week. I did a tough walk( well tough for me) up a steep hill with a group this morning. My weight stalled for ages, but appears to have started down again. I am now on the border of "overweight" and "obese". I could do with losing at least another 2 stone and I keep on the diet. It's quite nice giving away clothes. My BG is good 4.2 - 6.1 on a reduced dose of Metformin( 2 x 500perdiem) and I've dropped Gliclazide altogether. I feel and fancy I look well.

popps

Since being diagnosed with fasting tests of 7.1 and 7.2 I've managed to achieve a first A1C test of 5.0, through diet and exercise alone. I believe that exercise as well as following a relatively low-moderate carb diet and cutting out processed foods to a large extent have played a part in this.

Throughout my 30s and early 40s I've led a sedentary life, i.e. office, pub, TV dinner, bed. Although not majorly overweight (10 stone 7 upon upon diagnosis, height 5 foot five) I was developing a bit of a "beer gut". I now go to the gym three or four times a week and walk everywhere (within reason) rather than catch a bus/take the car. I've also bought a labradoodle puppy whose going to keep me active whether I like it or not!

I've reduced my weight down to 10 stone since July and feel fitter than I've been since my late 20s. I definitely believe exercise is as important as diet in achieving good blood sugar levels and general fitness.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
You'll get a lot of exercise with a labradoodle. the more Poodle genes, the bouncier. should be good at obedience too.

Trinkwasser

I've always been a great walker, often with several kilos of photographic gear (or shopping) and I've usually lived or worked in hilly places which helps. I also garden and do housework etc.

I'm one for which it never made much difference in the long term. One of my cousins is also a runner and his BG has recently started to go up. One of his daughters is an actual genuine athlete, runs, swims, does triathlons and marathons and her postprandials have started to go up.

The only time I became inactive was on the Healthy High Carb Low Fat diet when I became too knackered from the high (and low) BGs, and started putting on weight for the first time in my life.

So in my case the diet is obviously key.

I can achieve massive drops in BG by walking immediately after eating (useful for Christmas dinners and otherwise eating out) and long term I'm convinced it has probably helped me avoid progressing any faster by controlling BG and especially IR, but it's certainly not the be all and end all that it seems to be for other individuals.

I certainly wouldnt use extra exercise to offset the eating of excessive carbs as routine, as some preach.

YMMV obviously. This is just how it affects me personally.

lionrampant

Definition of hilarity: I do little exercise at home and my bloods run fairly well. I went to London for the weekend and walked more in one day than I have in a week recently - and my sugars averaged 11-13.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Unfortunately for me, my corner shop is a large Tesco - it's a good 20 minute walk on a slight incline. Every other day Mrs. Tubs and I pay a visit (well Mrs. Tubs visits and I pay) I also get to carry the bags on the way back.

Regards, Tubs.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tubolard said:
Unfortunately for me, my corner shop is a large Tesco - it's a good 20 minute walk on a slight incline. Every other day Mrs. Tubs and I pay a visit (well Mrs. Tubs visits and I pay) I also get to carry the bags on the way back.

Regards, Tubs.

Don't knock it Tubs, you should say that you do hill walking and weight lifting every other day!
Actually my worst hypo ever was whildt shopping.
If Mrs Tubs wants to help improve your health, perhaps she woud be kind enoug to take you on some extensive clothes shopping trips :D

Seriously it does seem that lots of people find that exercise helps. Theres plently of research that shows a big benefit for pe 2, surprisngly heres very little on its effect on type 1 and until recently some doctors discouraged Type 1 children from exercising because of the hypo risk.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i do a lot of walking as we have 2 dogs and if unable to go out for a few days my blood does start to creep up so it does help,also dancing around the room with the kids works wonders :D

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I couldn't agree more (with the sentiment about exercise). Mrs. Tubs and her relationships with all the clothes shops in the city is a whole different kettle of fish :D

As my waistline expanded, I obviously had to buy new clothes, the old trousers, jeans, shirts all got neatly folded and put away. It is with some joy, that I find myself swapping out new(ish) clothes for old as my waistline contracts. I have a rather nice bespoke suit that I bought 10 years ago, a few more inches and I should be able to get into it again.

Regards, Tubs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Trouble with exercise is that if you do it starting with high BG, the odds are BG will go up.
Mine doesn't go down until the exercise is A LOT. I do believe that the long term effects of exercise on IR are useful
Waiting to msee you in that suit TUBS and meeting Mrs Tubs in her new glad rags

seabill

Hi Phoenix
I really enjoyed your thoughts on the importance
of exercise with Type 1 in particular.
I was diagnosed Type 1 on 04/07/08 and started
a management programme of diet, insulin regulation and exercise.
If I miss my training my BG increases. It has become an essential part of my routine
Mon to Sat. Sunday is day off, for Sunday Lunch.

Regards

Seabill

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Exercise along with low carb plays a massive part for me- l was diagnosed type 1 in feb and it really helps keep my bs stable- my first few runs/exercise when diagnosed i had to have an apple just before... no apple needed now! :)