Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As I remember, when I first became diabetic (1970s) half of the diabetics were Type 1 and half Type 2. The "fat" ones were all Type 2 and the "thin" ones were all Type 1. I suspect an issue is the excessive amount of sugar in modern processed and takeaway food which means that a far greater number of people become overweight and Type 2, while since Type 1s were taught to "count their carbs" they avoided the high sugar processed stuff and were less likely to become overweight and insulin resistant.
Lots of generalisations and simplifications there of course!:)

I agree, the western diet is doing no one any favours.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

New2T1D

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Things that are unfair.
My son was dx T1 a year ago and his weight does what it always did - he puts weight on if he eats too much (like on holiday) and loses the weight when he eats normally - it seems to just balance out. What changes is the insulin need. So I think the insulin just balances what we put into our mouths.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally, I think this is a nonsense question and a dangerous question on a type 1 forum.
@catapillar I think this was possibly an over reaction! It was a question in a quest for knowledge and not advice to T1's. It had to be asked in a T1 forum as it is directed at T1 members.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar I think this was possibly an over reaction! It was a question in a quest for knowledge and not advice to T1's. It had to be asked in a T1 forum as it is directed at T1 members.

I continue to consider it is a nonsense question and a dangerous question in a type 1 forum. There are 9 people who have checked the post agreeing with it, one of them a moderator. I explained in the post you quoted from why I hold those view. It has been reported and it has been decided the thread can stay.

If you would like to watch this documentary - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05gh0lf/diabulimia-the-worlds-most-dangerous-eating-disorder - and come back to on exactly what amount of reaction is appropriate I'll take that on board. Until then, I'm content my reaction was reasonable and requires no exclamation mark responses.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I intended no offence in posting this question and apologise if I caused anyone ill feeling. It was an honest question born of the need for clarification only.

I would like to wish all of my fellow members, of whatever type and those who of no Diabetes but who support and care for those who do a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2018. Stay well, folks.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Guzzler from here i can see both sides. I think a good level forum shouldbe able to disscuss almost any topic its how we learn from each other.

My only comment for here is when they put me on insulin in the hospital the thought scared the hell out of me, still think its russian roulette its something we have to do..

I like to think im in control of the insulin.

Merry xmas every one.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Guzzler from here i can see both sides. I think a good level forum shouldbe able to disscuss almost any topic its how we learn from each other.

My only comment for here is when they put me on insulin in the hospital the thought scared the hell out of me, still think its russian roulette its something we have to do..

I like to think im in control of the insulin.

Merry xmas every one.

I am a diet only (apart from Metformin) managed Type2 but diet alone may not be enough in the future so I may have to take meds and eventually insulin. This was one of the reasons I posted the question so that I could prepare myself for any eventuality. I really did not mean to cause upset.

Reactions: Cobia

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
You know my diabetic educator was surprised my weight has remained the same from when i was 20 to now... guess its part life style part genetics part exercise.. exercise part is occupation...

But thats me different enviroment id be different.

Just from what i have read on the forum about t2 and the keto diets my hat does come off to you guys just for being able to maintain it.

Hell i loose weight just because we hit summer.. the only time i got to 30 carbs a day i started to shed it so i stopped. Got a lecture from my endo over that one..
Currently 6'3" 69 kg never want to get to 60 again i dont look right..

Its a really wierd balance to maintain insulin/food hopefully without the hypo... 24/7 52 weeks of the year.

Cant see that this issnt aplicable to either type of diabetes.

No offence here.... i chose to come here for infomation and to learn more.. if i can.