Expensive Medication

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of months ago my sister saw her diabetic consultant and he said that if I were his patient he would try me on Januvia (Sitagliptin) as I have IBS and Metformin made me very ill. She is based in Leeds and he said that is what he puts his patients on and that they have no side effects. He said it would bring my Hba1c down from 8.6 to 7.

I am based in Lincoln and today I asked my nurse about it and she said that none of her patients are taking it. She said it will either be down to NICE guidelines or the cost. She looked it up and confirmed it will be because of cost. Metformin costs £1.55 per month to supply and Januvia costs £33.80 per month to supply. She said I would have to see the Dr to see if he it willing to supply it. She told me that he wont mention cost, but will probably try and persuade me to go on Glizacide instead. From what I understand, this also causes stomach problems and can make you put on weight.

My reason for posting is to see if anyone can advice me of what to do if the Dr trys to insist on putting me on Glizacide instead of Januvia even though he is unlikely to mention the cost thing? I suffer very bad with IBS and have to look after that as much as the diabetes.

Thanks

Claire

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
Personally, if it was me, i wouldn't believe a word the doc told me, I would cut out the carbs to a bare minimum and the need for metformin or any drug would magically disappear with the IBS.

O I did :D and it did :D

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Clarissa,

Januvia side effects: nausea and common cold-like symptoms.

Glicazide side effects: hypoglycemia, gastrointestinal disturbance.

Neither of these medications could be considered to be side effect free, but the
Januvia has the benefit of not causing hypos (allegedly).

Good luck,
timo.

martinbuchan

Sitagliptin seems to be well tolersted. It has a similar effect on control if used in isolation. Its strength is when used in combination. There is little experience of its use in the UK.

Good luck