Experience of libre

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Bought a Libre to the tune of £150 or so about two months ago. Came with two sensors and the second sensor is still in the box...

As awesome a technology as this is, it's too early in it's development and too expensive to justify. You may try it and love it, but it's imperative that you cross check with finger prick testing. This meant for me that I then had two meters in my pocket along with all my original testing stuff; wherever I went.

Also the DVLA don't recognise this as a form of legal testing, before and during driving.

Cheers,
Grant

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got one for my son (13) who started using it last week. I think it is hugely beneficial (providing it is working)- as it is so much less hassle than finger prick all the time. It seems to exaggerate the highs and lows - which I think is some **** covering by the makers Abbot- but that is fine - as you can always finger prick to confirm. Would think there is a strong case on the NHS for children especially. In the meantime £100 every four weeks is well worth it IMHO.

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hattonma - how are you getting on with your libre? I think you and I might have started using it around the same time - my second sensor is due to finish on Thursday. I love it, and being able to track my levels (which are a lot higher between tests than I had thought!), however still trying to work out a waterproof solution for aqua classes. So far tried waterproof plasters - worked for first class, certainly didn't for the second. Hope you are getting on well with it :) x x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hattonma - how are you getting on with your libre? I think you and I might have started using it around the same time - my second sensor is due to finish on Thursday. I love it, and being able to track my levels (which are a lot higher between tests than I had thought!), however still trying to work out a waterproof solution for aqua classes. So far tried waterproof plasters - worked for first class, certainly didn't for the second. Hope you are getting on well with it :) x x

Read on another forum that people have had luck swimming using this stuff. But I've never tried so can't back that up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opsite-Fle...irect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=everydayupsan-21

Cheers,
Grant

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You don't need to worry about getting it wet when swim. By design it can withstand 30 minutes of continuous submersion. Many have reported up to two hours.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Opsite tape works for me. :D

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I've done quite a lot of research and would love to buy one if only the ongoing costs were not sky high - out of my reach, I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At the moment it costs £1250 a year. I would expect that might come down over time especially if they start to get some decent competition. And maybe one day Nice will recognise that it may actually be cost beneficial.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
At the moment it costs £1250 a year. I would expect that might come down over time especially if they start to get some decent competition. And maybe one day Nice will recognise that it may actually be cost beneficial.

Excellent point about transforming the current NICE view point.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hattonma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Erin85 thanks for your question. Yes we did although you are a couple of days in front of me.

So far I have to say that I love it. It has really opened my eyes in understanding what is happening and why my hba1c is so high. While my sugars at 4 hours are pk it is where they are the rest of the time that's the issue

At the moment I am constantly experimenting with insulin timings etc. I plan to do a review after my 2 week stint.

While I do love it there are some issues with it. I find the predictor isn't accurate alot of the time. Not sure if you have noticed that?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I find the predictor isn't accurate alot of the time. Not sure if you have noticed that?
I think you are right, but broadly speaking, most people seem to fall into a couple of categories for CGM and Flash monitoring : 1) It's amazing and life changing or 2) it's not accurate enough. I wonder if this comes about from the preconceptions built before the investment. If there is limited knowledge, most seem to expect (or want) an end to blood tests with like for like accuracy. Most who've done some background reading build a mindset that the data is going to tell you where your BG has been and where it is going, and are then willing to apply additional information about what else is due to affect their BG, and can therefore take a step back and appreciate the HD Picture with surround sound they have.
My CGM is broadly speaking very accurate, but this is why, to be honest, I couldn't care less when it contradicts my blood test by 4 or 5 mmols, because it is all about context. And without CGM or flash monitoring, most peoples BG fluctuates way more than this with little or no intervention, because we weren't even aware it was happening most of the time anyway!

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Erin85 thanks for your question. Yes we did although you are a couple of days in front of me.

So far I have to say that I love it. It has really opened my eyes in understanding what is happening and why my hba1c is so high. While my sugars at 4 hours are pk it is where they are the rest of the time that's the issue

At the moment I am constantly experimenting with insulin timings etc. I plan to do a review after my 2 week stint.

While I do love it there are some issues with it. I find the predictor isn't accurate alot of the time. Not sure if you have noticed that?

To be honest, I don't check it against my bg meter often - mostly if the libre reads a hypo, or reads normal but I feel hypo. I then continue to use bg meter until I'm back to normal levels and switch back to CGM.

I know that they aren't always exactly the same, but if they are within a few mmol/l's, I'm happy. I understand that it might have been 6.1 10mins ago, but that it is actually now 8.7, for example.

I'm using mine to help my levels during pregnancy. I had a bit of a bad few weeks, taken off insulin, still going over the 'safe' target, still hypoing etc. Luckily, everything has started to settle and I am back on my normal insulin. Started back on my background insulin last night and the difference between today and the last few days are night and day! I love looking at the charts and amount of time in target - keeps me focused :) x x

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to worry about getting it wet when swim. By design it can withstand 30 minutes of continuous submersion. Many have reported up to two hours.

I know many have said they are fine swimming with it, but I'm a bit paranoid about it! I'm not worried about the internals of the sensor (I think it would take a lot more to become damaged), but more that it can feel like the water can seep in around the sticky sides and when doing movements in the water, can feel like it is trying to pull off (can be a bit uncomfortable).

I did a bit more research after I commented the other day, and am awaiting a supply of Opsite and rock tape :) at yesterday's class, I used a waterproof plaster with medical tape round the sides and secured with a stretchy headband stretched round my arm twice. It didn't bother me at all, and I felt so much more comfortable about doing moves in the water (could probably have saved a fortune if I'd tried this first but I'm hoping the opsite/rock tape will mean no need for headband!). x x