Experience so far...

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 about seven weeks ago. Like many others I suspect, it was picked up when I went for a routine blood test for blood pressure medication. Reading through this site which was suggested to me by my GP, has been a revelation. I spent a few days quite down about it all, but then decided on action. I was eating far too much of all the wrong things, very overweight and having just had some of the most stressful years of my life. So, no more rubbish food. A sensible plan for eating instead. I now buy single ingredients and cook them myself, so I know exactly what I am eating. I got a glucose meter, although my doctor dismissed the idea(!). I read a lot, asked those few diabetics I know all sorts of questions. here on this site is a wealth of information and ideas too. I have watched the effects of meals, and levels of exercise on my levels and adjusted accordingly. I have also lost nearly 2 stones in weight in those few weeks. So, from that diagnosis, the very gloomy few days after, there has been a big change. As I told my doctor, I will change my diet to one I can live with long term. I have dieted to lose weight as most of us have, and it was hateful and pointless. So my future will be eating only things I like (happily I like most of the things that I should now be eating) and in sensible amounts at the right times. I shall miss some things but I would miss my eyesight and feet more! Being positive is always good and when the results are there its even better. I know enough about life to know there will be bad days, and things may not always be wonderful, but it won't be for want of trying by me.
The things which have been less good, doctors are difficult to get to see and not always too interested. Lots of new things to remember and consider. Lots of tests and inspections to look forward to.
So I am now a member of this club and among you!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lampman sounds like you're off to a great start.
I can tell from your positive outlook you are going to do really well.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Positivity, commitment and a pro-active attitude will get you exactly where you want to be. You will do well. :)

Reactions: Lampman

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the kind of post I really like.. when people take control of their condition. Well done indeed.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get in! You've won the battle already. It's easy with commitment and determination.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lampman

Great to see such a positive post - you will do well with your D management, and no doubt look back in the near future and wonder why you didn't follow this lifestyle earlier!

Those of us who are able to manage their D, rather than let it control them, are those with positivity flowing out of them - keep it up

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lampman

Great to see such a positive post - you will do well with your D management, and no doubt look back in the near future and wonder why you didn't follow this lifestyle earlier!

Those of us who are able to manage their D, rather than let it control them, are those with positivity flowing out of them - keep it up

Thank you for the encouragement. I took my eye off the ball after a list of tragedies that I won't bore you with, and now I have the result. Not an excuse, but its what happened. Now I am focussed on learning the right things to do and making that habit. I love a challenge and I am stubborn enough not to give up. Better than that, I am feeling better than I have in years and that is very rewarding.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliant attitude, and a great start too. :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 about seven weeks ago. Like many others I suspect, it was picked up when I went for a routine blood test for blood pressure medication. Reading through this site which was suggested to me by my GP, has been a revelation. I spent a few days quite down about it all, but then decided on action. I was eating far too much of all the wrong things, very overweight and having just had some of the most stressful years of my life. So, no more rubbish food. A sensible plan for eating instead. I now buy single ingredients and cook them myself, so I know exactly what I am eating. I got a glucose meter, although my doctor dismissed the idea(!). I read a lot, asked those few diabetics I know all sorts of questions. here on this site is a wealth of information and ideas too. I have watched the effects of meals, and levels of exercise on my levels and adjusted accordingly. I have also lost nearly 2 stones in weight in those few weeks. So, from that diagnosis, the very gloomy few days after, there has been a big change. As I told my doctor, I will change my diet to one I can live with long term. I have dieted to lose weight as most of us have, and it was hateful and pointless. So my future will be eating only things I like (happily I like most of the things that I should now be eating) and in sensible amounts at the right times. I shall miss some things but I would miss my eyesight and feet more! Being positive is always good and when the results are there its even better. I know enough about life to know there will be bad days, and things may not always be wonderful, but it won't be for want of trying by me.
The things which have been less good, doctors are difficult to get to see and not always too interested. Lots of new things to remember and consider. Lots of tests and inspections to look forward to.
So I am now a member of this club and among you!
That's an absolutely brilliant start. Well done

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wel done for taking the initiative..a useful tool is found under a heading of Low Carb LCHF Keto Eating. So many delicious things to eat. Don't martyr yourself, it doesn't help. Enjoy the choices out there and cook up a storm. My friends enjoy my 'fat bombs'....lol...sweet treats to help you over the 'munchies' when u want something tasty and sweet....not sugars but sweeteners. It's a learning curve. Good luck