Experience

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, want to share my experiences living with type 1 diabetes,not sure how long I'll update this also dont know if I can post photos.anyway bit about me,34 t1(16 diabetic years).I've been on a long 2 year journey, from not carimg about my condotion, to having a bit of a turnaround,still not perfect, I hasten too add.i am up until this post,running 3-12 miles a week some treadmill, some road miles,gym and swim 3 to 5 days a week.i dont want to go through the my whole time from then until now so I'll finish up.If anyone reads this and would like a view or an opinion on something leave a comment.i may start sharing all my excercise/general diary of weekly living, hopefully in doing this people.will realise that it can be challenged.:).

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What kind of changes in HBa1c have you seen with your exercise regime Steve?

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest not that much as off yet,its really only starting too cone together now, I attended a local course that gave me the skills too carb count, worknout insulin ratio and such like,like I say spiker,I'll try update now and again, with daily results,insulin taken and stuff, like I say its still not perfect.juat want to share really.:)

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tuesday 6th jan
Breakfast blood sugar,9.2, breakfast=two slices of seeded loaf,1 pink lady apple, two bacon, one fried egg,2 sausages, insulin ratio 1.5, total carbs 51,8 novorapid, (just realised I worked this caluclation wrong and injected for 41 carb instead of 51).3 hrs after brekfast blood sugar 15(mis caluculation confirmed)3.37 mile run,41.19 mins,5 min warm up and warm down included in time.total running time 25.39 mins, blood sugaur after run 10.8, lunch-1 wholemeal sandwich,1 pkt savoury popcorn,1 pink lady apple-total carbs 61g,1.5 ins to carb ratio 13 units taken 12 normal 1 correction dose.tea-thai green curry 61g carbs, blood sugar 8.5.lantus taken as usual 10pm blood sugar 7.4.supper 1 piece of seeded toast and 10 grams of honey 25g total carb, no novo rapid taken.
if anyone reading this would like to ask any questions feel free to leave comment.:)

RacheyEliza1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I'm just starting out in trying to get fit (I've been diabetic for last 23yrs) but want to be able to run (jog) and lose weight/be healthier!
Just wanted to say it's encouraging seeing other T1 diabetics out there who are doing all that exercise!
Do you tend to reduce your insulin before and/or after? I learnt the old fashioned way to take in extra carbs to compensate but really want to avoid that now and get better at estimating insulin reduction and when to reduce - any tips gratefully received!
Cheers

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi rachey, I like you also.learnt the old fashioned way and used too take extra carbs on pre excercise,what I do now is try too leave around 2.5/3 hrs from my last injection and dont bother with any reductions, dependant on pre excercise sugar ie, it its 5-7 I'll take a 20g snack anything higher I dont bother,also if I'm running 4+ miles I'll take a sports gel on 20-30 mins in and always have spares incase of any major drops.if you still want too make reductions in insulin start by using this rough guide.low intensity=25% reduction, moderate intensity= 50% reduction, high intensity=75% reduction.this is just a starting point though,excercise is such an individual thing theres not right and wrong way, I found its a lot of trial and error.i also found going too the gym and using the treadmill(boring I know)too monitor exactly what happen with my bs before during and after a run.hope this helps rachy, keep at it I cant recommended getting out and active enough and not just for us diabetics:)

RacheyEliza1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you sounds like some trial & error til I get in a bit of a routine/comfort around how I respond. I'm going to take your advice and start on the treadmill (and some swimming etc) build it up and just monitor what my BG does, then aim for outdoors next!
Hopefully I'll be back on here once I get to actually running that far!!

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well feel free too keep in touch,keep going itnonly gets easier, I've found that recording everything you do helps,I have pages and pages of stuff written down hahaha . I'll keep posting on excercise days, its been a slow week for me lol.:).

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so tonight I'll be hitting the gym,I plan too do 30 mins treadmill 5 min warm up and down, so twenty minutes of running with varible speeds of 5.5mph and 5.0 mph with varible inclines %1 to 6%.swim for 20 minutes in a 17 meter pool.i will monitor my blood sugar at the start,in between and after.it should be roughly 1.5 2hrs since my last injection, tea=87 total carbs which yeilded a 17 unit injection, I slashed that by 75% and took 5 (acurate result was 4.3 units) I round up to the nearest number as 4 seemed not very much.will update later with the findings.:).

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow here it is, this is the best I've ever had,bs before gym 6.3, due too this and current guidlines I took a sports gel on before,25 carbs, bs after treadmill 5.3, I decide too add sone weight work after I arrived at the gym so, done 3x8 dumbell incline,3x15 tricep dips,3x8 rope pull down, 3x12 chest press,3x8 skullcrushers, blood after 4.6, swim 5 min warm up, 10x17 mtr kickboard,10x17 mtr breast and crawl 5 min warm down swim, blood after 5.3, sauna for 20 mins, blood stayed the same, one red apple after swim and two weetabix in the house total carb 36 grams. It would appear the 75% reduced insulin and also the sports gel pre excercise may have worked:).

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I was tonight at the gym again, after a shocking bs day where I was up and down like a yoyo,as we know this can make you feel like total **** but I dragged myself there anyway.same as the other day I took the route of taking a 75% reducrion in insulin well not really 75% as thos yeilded a 3 unit injetion which I thought was a little too much of a reduction, bs before tea 6.7 off the back of a hypo around 4pm.before leaving the house I was running 9.9, by the time I hit tje gym I was at 14:'(anyway I hit the treadmill for the same session as the other day varible speed of between 5.0 5.5mph and incline of 1% and 6% for twenty mins, then the last 10 I keep the incline at one bit ramped up the speeds to 5.5 and 6.8.bs after this had slashed too 7.1.as a resukt of the bad day I didn't bother with the swim and opted too just hot the sauna for a long time vjecked bs half way through I'd rose too 12.3 and now back in the house where I'm currently 13.7? May I also add I had no enerfy gels or snacks after tea up until now. My feeling is that the 10 minute sprints at the end has actually been the cause of the rise.anyone out there(assuning you're reading this) have any thoughts?.:)

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today was a slow day excercise wise (few beers last night)woke up to a blood sugar of 15(two chocolate digestive through the night)had breakfast of 54 carbs no reduction in insulin, went for a swim, alternating between breaststroke and front craw with a little kickboard work in betwwen, using the same alternating strokes,bs before swim 16, drop too 7.5 after, then a further drop too 5.3 after a sauna.had a large pink lady apple post swimmimg. Blood sugar before lunch 6.3.it appears if excercising afyer a full dose of food insulin is yeilding around about blood sugar drop of halfish:).