Explaining to unhelpful relatives.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have come off meds and am now diet controlled with very good control. My family does not know anybody else with diabetes and don't understand. I often get told to go on, it's only one, it's special occasion, what's the worst that can happen.

I have insulin resistance and before controlling my bg's I had neuropathy and my eyesight deteriorated really badly over the course of one year. I have tried googling but can't seem to find my way through all the quack doctor sites to read good articles as to be honest I could do with educating myself so I can answer the questions asked of me confidently.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Reactions: Moosepig

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bloody annoying isn't it! I got told at work but you don't have diabetes anymore as your off the meds and diet controlled! And when a colleague was handing out cakes I said no thanks, he said you never have cakes to what I said that's because I'm diabetic, he said I'll bring some lettuce next time, I really wanted to punch him in the face!!! No idea how hard it is sometimes x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried googling but can't seem to find my way through all the quack doctor sites to read good articles as to be honest I could do with educating myself so I can answer the questions asked of me confidently.

I'd like to help you out ..............which way did you come in?

Seriously though, there are a lot of good sites out there and here is one you can spend some time reading.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Reactions: berylc

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have come off meds and am now diet controlled with very good control. My family does not know anybody else with diabetes and don't understand. I often get told to go on, it's only one, it's special occasion, what's the worst that can happen.

I have insulin resistance and before controlling my bg's I had neuropathy and my eyesight deteriorated really badly over the course of one year. I have tried googling but can't seem to find my way through all the quack doctor sites to read good articles as to be honest I could do with educating myself so I can answer the questions asked of me confidently.

do what you know is the best and understand that there will allways be a world filled with people that never will understand ever..
we need to help each other here and focus on what we know works for us..

a good way to start for you would be to eat a breakfast without carbs or almost without any carbs every day all the year around..
like bacon and eggs or ham and cheese without the bread or with the famous LIDL protein roll that only contain very few carbs, I only use a half as the big roll of 130 grams is very heavy and satiating... or you could eat just a half avocado with lemon juice sprinkled over it and a cup of tea/coffee with cream for breakfast..

the rest of your day you should avoid pasta potatoes, bread in general also whole grains all cakes and chips and rice all kinds
you can eat almost all vegetables grown over the ground ...tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers ,onions and kale
you could eat cottage cheese, al kinds of cheese , all kinds of meat , but some sussages do have to much wheat flour in them..

you should stop eating fruits, and if you miss fruit much then eat some berries instead and it is good to eat them with whipped cream .. fullfat yoghurt is also fine ...
you can eat almost all kinds of nuts, peanuts do contain some carbs but are much better than chips and cake ...

well keep asking in this forum if you need advice, there are really very many helpful people in here...

there also is some threats with ideas for foods and low carb cooking

@daisy

Last edited:
Reactions: Moosepig

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

I learnt a lot by downloading books from Amazon on my Kindle. It's cheaper than buying them and you can 'take a look inside' to see if the style and layout appeals. The reviews are a good pointer to how good the book is. You can also decide your area of interest, LCHF, keto, recipes etc. Of course you can also learn a lot on this website and Diet Doctor. You will feel much more confident when you have a basic understanding of nutrients and how the body uses them.

Reactions: Freema

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bloody annoying isn't it! I got told at work but you don't have diabetes anymore as your off the meds and diet controlled! And when a colleague was handing out cakes I said no thanks, he said you never have cakes to what I said that's because I'm diabetic, he said I'll bring some lettuce next time, I really wanted to punch him in the face!!! No idea how hard it is sometimes x

That's callous I'm not surprised you wanted to punch him! I've only really had the 'is that the bad one' style comments if I've mentioned the diabetes to anyone at work. That's enough to make me think twice before mentioning it openly.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Punch him when he doesn't bring the lettuce.

Hotpepper20000

I am very careful with who I share my medical info with. Not because I am ashamed but I don't want every social situation to be about what I can or can't eat.
If anyone asks questions and I don't feel like sharing I just say, I feel better when I don't eat "x"
I then ask a questions about their lives family or work to distract them. Most people prefer to talk about themselves.

Last edited:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I go told off by a lady at work when I had lost 2 stone and said I was on the LCHF diet. I was told that I'll have a stroke with all that fat! I tried to explain about the diet, but she wouldn't listen. THEN on my dinner break I was told by the same lady that I was testing too much (before tea break and lunch) that I was taking testing too far!

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very careful with who I share my medical info with. Not because I am ashamed but I don't want every social situation to be about what I can or can't eat.
If anyone asks questions and I don't feel like sharing with I just say, I feel better when I don't eat "x"
I then ask a question about their lives family or work to distract them. Most people prefer to talk about themselves.

what a fine strategy and yes most people like to talk about themselves a lot

dan1jess2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do watch the s@@@ a lot of people eat and think to myself why why me but hey ho that's life, as my 10yr old son told me but mummy you are now so healthy and Slim it was a good thing being diagnosed bless him, we all eat better now so maybe the wake up call I needed! X

And for the record I bloody hate lettuce!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Saying no thank you should be enough. It is none of anyones business why you don't want to eat something. If you don't want it then you don't want it, period.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. My diet is fine and my bg's rarely go much above 4 :) What I'm looking for is some good articles on diabetes and the side effects and how it progresses over time and how having raised blood sugars is harmful and the effects. It doesn't help that I also have a lot of food intolerances as well so my diet is a full time job lol

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
People only ask me or comment on my food once because I immediately show them the pictures I've got saved on my phone of people who have had amputations, etc due to uncontrolled diabetes. They never ask or comment a second time. :)

Hotpepper20000

People only ask me or comment on my food once because I immediately show them the pictures I've got saved on my phone of people who have had amputations, etc due to uncontrolled diabetes. They never ask or comment a second time. :)
Oh wow I bet that would be fun at a cocktail party.:bored: