Explore Cuisine Organic Gluten Free Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we have a winner. These are awesome. Feels just like eating pasta - different taste, but with a sauce, not much difference in mouth feel or satisfaction while eating, and make you feel really full afterwords. 11.3g of carb for 100g uncooked - which is actually quite a bit portion, so next time may do like 50 - 75g per person, but oh boy was it satisfying.

Calorie wise, it is about the same as wheat pasta (slightly less, but not much in it)

Not sure how it will affect BG - will let you know in a couple of hours. I had it with a home made tomato based sauce - so that may affect it too, but that's how one would eat it normally - so a fair comparison.

Not cheap - £3.25 at Holland & Barrett - but they are always doing discounts. I got 20% off + free shipping (I bought a bunch of it). Still, for a weekly treat - it is a no-brainer. I do find it odd that these are made in China though :oops:

I believe ALDI used to sell this - possibly as a middle aisle thing. Anyone know how much they sold them for?

1710790729040.png

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have these on occasion - I use 40g a portion get 5 portions from a box, I find them extremely filling and they need longer cooking than pasta as they can be a bit clumpy otherwise - I use mine for carbonara as it’s one of the dishes where anything else just won’t do. They do have a slight back taste to them. You can get them in most supermarkets now, I buy mine from Tesco but I don’t remember how much they are - there’s a black bean spaghetti too that’s ok with my BG but there’s another one can’t remember what it is but when I tried it it sent my BG soaring so my advice to anyone is make sure you test for yourselves if you try them - hope they’re kind to you @aris :)

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah just looked it was the chickpea one but I think they were higher in carbs

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I occasionally eat gluten free pastas. They do send my blood sugars into space and beyond for hours so I only occasionally eat them. I make my own pesto to go with it: basil, olive oil garlic, pine nuts and parmesan cheese whizzed up in the blender. That gluten free pasta does look tempting :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s the one I buy, I have 50g with homemade bolognaise & grated cheese, don’t seem to have much effect on b/s
I think it was around £2 when Aldi sold it

• Informative
Reactions: Melgar

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy their edamame spaghetti in Asda, it's £2.50 I think. Also get their black bean spaghetti, for the life of me, I can't remember where I bought it, but that is fine. Aldi used to do a different brand of the black bean, under £2, sadly, not back on the shelves as yet.

Reactions: LivingLightly

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy their edamame spaghetti in Asda, it's £2.50 I think. Also get their black bean spaghetti, for the life of me, I can't remember where I bought it, but that is fine. Aldi used to do a different brand of the black bean, under £2, sadly, not back on the shelves as yet.

I've had a look at the online listings of most supermarkets, and can't seem to find these listed anywhere. Perhaps it is a regional thing?

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a look at the online listings of most supermarkets, and can't seem to find these listed anywhere. Perhaps it is a regional thing?
Oh, maybe it is then, that would be a shame.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sent an e-mail to Aldi. The Foodie Market Edamame & Mung bean Fettuccine is actually a regular stock product - just out of stock at the moment. This is good news - particularly if it is cheaper than H&B.

I'd also bet money that it is the same product/manufacturer (in China) as is sold by Holland & Barrett - just in a different box.

The Aldi one is £1.99 - way cheaper than H&B.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessj

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent an e-mail to Aldi. The Foodie Market Edamame & Mung bean Fettuccine is actually a regular stock product - just out of stock at the moment. This is good news - particularly if it is cheaper than H&B.

I'd also bet money that it is the same product/manufacturer (in China) as is sold by Holland & Barrett - just in a different box.

That's good to hear. I got some from Aldi a while ago. It's not half bad, when you get over the colour. I've still got some left, and will check when I next go to Aldi.

• Agree
Reactions: jessj

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good to hear. I got some from Aldi a while ago. It's not half bad, when you get over the colour. I've still got some left, and will check when I next go to Aldi.
Colour reminds me of spinach pasta. I'll be honest this isn't pasta, it is its own thing - but regardless, if i were not looking for a lower carb alternative I'd still enjoy this in its own right,

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done, @aris!

I have asked in my new local one a couple of times, but they didn't know. Before that it was a drive away & it had been taken down for seasonal goods early last year. They used to have black bean spaghetti too & it was just as good, so you're probably right on it's the same manufacturer. Will be very handy if Aldi do get some in, will keep looking & asking.