Extended glucose tolerance test

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Advise please..
I am booked in next month for an extended glucose tolerance test. What can I expect and roughly how long will it take ?
Thank you in advance for any information.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see that no-one answered your query. I didn't because I have never heard of an extended glucose tolerance test so I couldn't advise. The regular OGTT means fasting from the night before, measuring your blood sugar, drinking a sweet drink and sitting for two hours when they measure your sugar again. They could take other interim readings.

"Extended" sounds like it could go on a bit.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have they told you what they are testing you for?
And how long the test will be?

I have heard of extended OGTTs that are 5 hours or 3 days, depending on the reason they are running it. The usual length is 2 hours.

If you google you can find the instructions used by health care professionals when they run the test, and the expected results, which should fill in your knowledge.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am unsure if this applies to you or if you will find it useful.

Extented OGTT is sometimes used fofor the followig.

• Investigation of recurrent episodes of hypoglycaemia in non-diabetic patients
  • The late dumping syndrome is suspected in the person who has symptoms of hypoglycaemia in the setting of previous gastric surgery
http://www.homerton.nhs.uk/our-serv...amic-function-testing/ogtt-protocol-extended/
thank you John E Green i looked at the link you provided, .. as for surgery i had gallbladder out 2 years ago , maybe something linked there, thanks again it was very informative.