Type 2 Extra Chewing gum

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is chewing Extra chewing gum bad for HbA1C reading for diabetics Is it the Polyols that are the problem

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has xylitol as a sweetener. This is a laxative of note for us and can be fatal for furballs . pets. Also has Aspartame, which is also not regarded as a healthy artificial sweetener for us. Has Mannitol, which is the polyol (sugar alcohol) and this one may interfere with your home bgl tester, but may not affect an HbA1c which uses different chemistry, Lastly it has yet another artificial sweetener acesulfame K.

Nothing nutritious for a start, The sweeteners do not give you carbs, so supposedly suitable for diabetics, but beware of the hidden laxative - it can be vicious! Those sweeteners may be enough to trigger an insulin response when not followed by food which will reinforce any insulin resistance you have, which as a T2D you do not need. I repeat You Do Not Need!

Suggest you google Lecithin and decide if you really want those chemicals passing through your gut? It is not natural lecithin, but synthesised from the vitamin E in Soya.

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone tried peppersmith peppermint gum I’m keen to try it as it has xylitol not aspartame

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I kept munching that gum and I think that's why my levels have been unpredictable of late. So its a no from me :shifty:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my amateur understanding of the way our bodies work, constantly (or often) chewing anything releases lots of Hormones and substances in our bodies which constantly switch from getting ready for food, to feeling like its either had food or not. The body gets very muddled and never gets a rest.
Yet for good type 2 control we are told its good to have as longer periods between eating as possible to let the blood sugars do their job then clear away from the bloodstream.
I would therefore think the same would be true of all the other substances chewing produces (leptin and ghrelin amongst others). Stop chewing and give your body time to recover between meals.
In my opinion there must be some correlation between Americans being the biggest users of gum and also the nation with the heaviest people and the highest rates of diabetes and other conditions.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion there must be some correlation between Americans being the biggest users of gum and also the nation with the heaviest people and the highest rates of diabetes and other conditions.
You're not wrong there.

I wish people who chew gum would do it with their mouths shut, cows can chew the cud with theirs shut so it can't be that difficult for "humans".