Extra Injection

Pearsall85

Hey all, I've just got in from work on my afternoon shifts and I'm starving! I used to just have a 4th meal to help with my weight training. Now my pancreas doesn't work anymore I'm just wondering if I just have another meal with some insulin? Is there any reason I shouldn't inject an extra time?

Stu.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stu

As long as you're happy that you know how much insulin to take for the carbs you're eating then it should be OK

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Robert said, another meal with some carbs, needs another injection.

And if you're ever missing a meal then miss the fast-acting insulin too.

LaughingHyena

I've been warned to go carefully if I have having extra injections. Yyou can get problems with the insulin stacking up and making you hypo a bit later. I've also been told not to have injections less than 2 hours apart, thought I presume that depends on the type of insulin. Mine is novorapid.

I find if I do have an extra meal/snack that I need a lower dose than usual for it. I;ve recently got a meter which caculates it for me, taking into account the previous meals dose and it has helped with this sort of situation. Before that there was quite a lot of guesswork.

The other option is a meal/snack without carbs. Things like cheese, cold meats, eggs, salad, nuts are all options without the carbs.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LaughingHyena said:
The other option is a meal/snack without carbs. Things like cheese, cold meats, eggs, salad, nuts are all options without the carbs.

We all react differently to food intake. I have to calculate a bolus for the foods mentioned by LaughingHyena and taken without carbs. If I don't inject Insulin I will have blood sugar sailing in to the 10s. But I know a big energetic T1 who can eat a sandwich consisting of cheese, pickle and two slices of bread that has little impact on their blood sugars.

purrple11

Stu, don't ask us! - everyone is different and it depends upon the type of insulin you use and your weight/activeness.

Speak to your diabetes nurse who will be able to really help!

I will say that it is possible as my fast-acting insulin allows me to have extra injections.

Ambersilver, I wouldn't miss an injection if I missed a meal. Your natural blood sugar levels will still creep up, even if you don't eat.

That's why you should always speak to a professional first! No one here can give you the deffinitive answer. Sorry Stu.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
purrple11 said:
Ambersilver, I wouldn't miss an injection if I missed a meal. Your natural blood sugar levels will still creep up, even if you don't eat.

Hi purrple11,

My basal insulin is acting in the background to keep my blood sugar at a steady level. So, missing a meal and a fast-acting injection works for me.