Extra Levermere Given ! - Help !

Valraj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys !!

My 5 year old daughters Mum has just given my daughter 2 units of Leveremere in error instead of half a unit before bedtime - what should she do ? - Help please !

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys !!

My 5 year old daughters Mum has just given my daughter 2 units of Leveremere in error instead of half a unit before bedtime - what should she do ? - Help please !

I'll tag @Jaylee and @Diakat who are T1s.

Have you tested your daughter? You will need to do lots of testing throughout the evening and night. I would imagine your daughter may need so additional carbs to deal with the additional insulin.

If in doubt, call a 111 or if she is unwell, 999.

Valraj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's exactly what her Mum will be doing as per advice given by 111 - so stressful ‍♂️- just wanted to see if there was anything else more that could be done ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You’re in for a long night, I’m afraid, it’s an easy mistake to make and most of us T1s have made dosing mistakes before. Keep testing, every half hour or so, and she’ll probably need plenty of carbs over the next 18h to keep her levels up. And of course, call 111 for help, and 999 is you can’t keep her above 4mmol. I accidentally took twice as much as I needed earlier in the year, and that’s having been T1 for two decades. We all do it once. Sending hugs to you and the family - and get some coffee on!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because it's a long acting insulin, it's take a while before it starts to push her blood sugar too low, so if you try to get her eat a lot of long acting carbs, like maybe a sandwich, fruit, and things like that, give her a late night high carb meal, and then, as others say, keep testing through the night, and keep the fast acting handy, like sweets, for if you need them.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sensible advice has already been given, so just sending you a hug to help you get through the night. Diabetes is an ass sometimes, and most of us on insulin have had dosing mistakes happen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Valraj ,

In short, your daughter will need tight monitoring for the next 24 hour period especially during the nighttime period.
Keep plenty of short & longer acting carbohydrate at hand.

It's a background basal insulin so the hypos may creep up? & also keep recuring?
You may also find you will not need to bolus for meals tomorrow with the shorter acting insulin like Novorapid..

Drinking milk may stop multiple dips...?

Either way it's going to be a long night & day..

Wishing you all well!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks squad - all sensible / logical advice
emoji8.png
#wearebutonlyhuman

We are indeed human..! This sort of thing has happened countless times...

May I also suggest "vigil shifts" regarding you & your wife..?

Valraj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm away at present Jaylee so not feasable hence just seeing what advice / guidance I can source - the irony is that I'm Type 1 but never had extra of the 24 hour one so didn't know what to tell her from my pov - had plenty of episodes of fast acting though which I'm sure we can all concur

Reactions: LooperCat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm away at present Jaylee so not feasable hence just seeing what advice / guidance I can source - the irony is that I'm Type 1 but never had extra of the 24 hour one so didn't know what to tell her from my pov - had plenty of episodes of fast acting though which I'm sure we can all concur

Ah, I see. My apologies.
Yep, I've messed up with bolus.. As far as basal is concerned. I've jumped off a plane in a hot climate or found myself working in an "oven" & wished I'd shaved a fraction off my dose the night before.. :banghead:

Valraj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Valraj how is your daughter now? Hope she and your wife got through the night ok x
Hi Mel - thanks for checking in...my daughter had the day off from school yesterday as she was so tired from cont. being disturbed with the night time blood tests (which for some reason stayed high ) but were all good the following day - the nurse advised the following day to keep an eye on her as states her sugars will prob go low 3 x days after the original extra levermere given