Eye injections

tomeharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Has anyone else had the macula edema injections? I want to speak to someone else who has had them, as im feeling very alone in this at the moment.

I had some diabetic retinopathy, and some laser treatment as a result. All was well. As a result after some time, my vision started to go blurry, which i was told was due to fluid build up, and the only treatment was eye injections. Had two very successful injections, and then my third. This third being the second one in my left eye.

Problem is my sight hasn't been right since. The fogginess experienced previously has gone, which is what the injection was supposed to treat, but im now having trouble seeing letters and words and things in the distance with my left eye, a week on since my injection. Has anyone else experienced this? My first two were great, and sight was fully restored within four days. I have been told that symptoms could last up to two weeks - these being a dry, stinging, gritty, red, watery eye etc. I haven't had any of these symptoms on this third injection, unlike the previous two, and this time my sight problem has changed but isnt right still.

I phoned the clinic i had the injection done back and after explaining everything they advised me to wash the eye out with drops every two hours for a week, suggesting maybe the iodine drops and other stuff may not have washed out.

Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this as its very unsettling!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't say I ever experienced that but I know of someone else who has had a much rougher time with one of their's, we know the risks and have to sign a form so I'd suggest all you can do is wait, do as they've told you and see how it goes, I had one that my eye was dry and gritty after for a few days but only a few days, I hope you see some improvement soon xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else had the macula edema injections? I want to speak to someone else who has had them, as im feeling very alone in this at the moment.

I had some diabetic retinopathy, and some laser treatment as a result. All was well. As a result after some time, my vision started to go blurry, which i was told was due to fluid build up, and the only treatment was eye injections. Had two very successful injections, and then my third. This third being the second one in my left eye.

Problem is my sight hasn't been right since. The fogginess experienced previously has gone, which is what the injection was supposed to treat, but im now having trouble seeing letters and words and things in the distance with my left eye, a week on since my injection. Has anyone else experienced this? My first two were great, and sight was fully restored within four days. I have been told that symptoms could last up to two weeks - these being a dry, stinging, gritty, red, watery eye etc. I haven't had any of these symptoms on this third injection, unlike the previous two, and this time my sight problem has changed but isnt right still.

I phoned the clinic i had the injection done back and after explaining everything they advised me to wash the eye out with drops every two hours for a week, suggesting maybe the iodine drops and other stuff may not have washed out.

The there Tom - I think my colleague @Jaylee might have some experience in this area - meaning injections, not necessarily problems. I hope he might pop in.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @tomeharding ,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes i have had ant-VEGF jabs (one session just as the local anesthetic was wearing off.) in both eyes for macular edema (One course in the left.) I started off on Lucientis on the right, Then problems with the left was detected a year or so later & moved onto eylia.. (Edit to put in, Eylia wears of & disperses quicker & seems more effective to me.)
i don't have retinopathy. so this was a kick in the teeth when diagnosed. (I hadn't even heard of it.)

The treatment was a success, but i am currently still being monitored/scanned at around 6 monthly intervals..

Where you given "after care" eye drops to put in over the next couple of days x3?? (To stop the chance of infection.)

I was told it takes a bit of time for the brain to adjust to the new "normal" as the bulge on the central field of vision causing the distortion goes down..
I had no issue with gritty eyes. just the feeling of a human bubble lamp with the ethereal cloud in the eye,then the "muppet eye" dark patch for a couple of hours? (6 hours tops?)

I feel you may need to speak to your ophthalmologist..

Last edited:

tomeharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Hi @tomeharding ,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes i have had ant-VEGF jabs (one session just as the local anesthetic was wearing off.) in both eyes for macular edema (One course in the left.) I started off on Lucientis on the right, Then problems with the left was detected a year or so later & moved onto eylia.. (Edit to put in, Eylia wears of & disperses quicker & seems more effective to me.)
i don't have retinopathy. so this was a kick in the teeth when diagnosed. (I hadn't even heard of it.)

The treatment was a success, but i am currently still being monitored/scanned at around 6 monthly intervals..

Where you given "after care" eye drops to put in over the next couple of days x3?? (To stop the chance of infection.)

I was told it takes a bit of time for the brain to adjust to the new "normal" as the bulge on the central field of vision causing the distortion goes down..
I had no issue with gritty eyes. just the feeling of a human bubble lamp with the ethereal cloud in the eye,then the "muppet eye" dark patch for a couple of hours? (6 hours tops?)

Hi @tomeharding ,

Welcome to the forum.

I was given drops for after care but wasn't told i needed to use them, only if my eye got dry or gritty. On this third one I didn't need them at all, and basically got none of the post op symptoms i had with the last two. I did ring and speak to the clinic, im not sure if the lady on the phone spoke to a doctor or not but she asked me a lot of questions and then did say some of then things they put in my eye before the injection may be clouding over the clear lense in my eye, and to use the drops once every two hours for 48 hours and then a couple times a day for a week after... that will bring me to my 2 week post op 'if everything isnt back to normal call the number' time.

Re reading my consent form this could be anything from retina detachment to simply that it failed, and i need another injection. What are the odds there's just still fluid in my eye that needs another injection? Who knows...

Thanks for your reply, ive struggled to find anyone else that has had this that can speak to me about it.. Just a bit freaked out since the results of this injection are totally different to my first 2, which only happened 5th jan this year and and again end of feb, followed by last Wednesday! The change has freaked me out since the first two as they went so smoothly and this totally changed.

I dont think this is my brain re adjusting, as i only had fluid present a week max before the third injection, and previously, i had the fluid all over xmas for about a month, and 2 days after the injection for that, my sight was back to normal and it was amazing.

The other problem is i cant get through to my ophthalmologist, i can only ring the number and speak to reception. When i rang two weeks ago in a panic to say i cant see again (the fluid had returned overnight), they were great and spoke to a doctor and said come in 4 days and well sort it.

Anyway, thanks for your response, im hoping this will clear up by next weds otherwise the saga will continue...especially irritating as i drive for a living and currently dont feel safe doing so and have had to stop until this is resolved.