kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone had follow up appointments at eye hospital from their diabetic screening. I had my screening a few weeks ago and have to go for a hospital appointment as there are changes to the blood vessels behind my eyes. Slightly worried but hoping they're just airing on the side of caution. Has anyone else been through something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @kjc2011
try not to worry -- the screening has more than likely shown up some early signs of retinopathy, which , if you keep your BG's in control can be stopped dead in its tracks for many many years.
i have had retinopathy for 25+ years and I am still driving :)

all the best !!!

Reactions: 2 people

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Than
hi there @kjc2011
try not to worry -- the screening has more than likely shown up some early signs of retinopathy, which , if you keep your BG's in control can be stopped dead in its tracks for many many years.
i have had retinopathy for 25+ years and I am still driving :)

all the best !!!
Thank you and hopefully I have stopped it dead as you say, as I have never been in more control as I have been over the past 2 months since coming on this site, and chatting to others who are so supportive and also begun testing which has given me a much better understanding. So fingers crossed.
k you @himtoo it does mention retinopathy in the letter and leaflet sent with it.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
It is also reassuring that a fellow diabetic has been through the same and it does not affect their day to day activity and it can also be stopped from progressing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 4 people

Dark Horse

Screening is just that - screening. It is not a diagnosis, but identifies people who may need treatment at a point where the treatment will be most successful i.e. before there is any vision loss. Further tests are needed to determine whether any treatment is needed, and quite a high proportion of people who are referred to hospital do not need treatment and will return to regular screening. If treatment is needed, having attended regular screening makes it more likely that the disease has been identified early enough to for treatment to have the best outcome.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been diagnosed with background retinopathy but been told not to worry about it.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hoping that mine is just background at the moment and can halt it from progressing now that I am gaining more control of my bloods @david1968

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a very reassuring thread. I was diagnosed T2 last october with an a1c reading of 101. My DSN needed to be persuaded to let me try the diet only option to begin with but as my readings dropped to 79 after 2 months then 66 after 5 and now 56 after 7, I think I'm on the right track. I just got the letter with the results of my screening this morning and it shows background retinopathy not needing treatment with the advice on how best to reduce the risk of it getting any worse. The first thing I did was to come on the forum and put a search in. Thank you to all who have responded and helped to put my mind at rest. I hope all goes well for you Kjc2011.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Thank you @Ann_W fingers crossed it's just the waiting and not knowing at the minute but sure all will be fine in the end. Also well done on your reductions that's amazing progress ☺

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @kjc2011 - the screening result shows just how worthwhile it is to make the effort and be pro-active

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read in a book about diabetes that Goji berry supplements are good for the health of the eye.
I don't know weather this is true or not, but I have some on order. Can't hurt.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I read in a book about diabetes that Goji berry supplements are good for the health of the eye.
I don't know weather this is true or not, but I have some on order. Can't hurt.

When my retinopathy was active my Ophthalmologist just said to eat plenty fruit & veg rather than buy supplements, he said dark coloured ones were especially beneficial to eye health so always make sure I eat a small handful of Blueberries each day.

As you say it can't hurt, nothing ventured.................

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
When my retinopathy was active my Ophthalmologist just said to eat plenty fruit & veg rather than buy supplements, he said dark coloured ones were especially beneficial to eye health so always make sure I eat a small handful of Blueberries each day.

Glad to hear this, my mum and gran both went blind because of retinopathy. I was only diagnosed 6 months ago but my sight is one of my biggest worries

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

I am doing a ketogenic diet to bring my BG down (which is working wonders) so berries are something I'm not having right now. What veg is good? I am still having most veg and salad (excluding root).
I can not praise the ketogenic diet enough, no medication and today I had my first "normal" reading of 5.2. I am a bit all over the place so we will see if this continues. *fingers crossed*
If you do know veg or salad that's good for the eyes I would love to eat them... No harm

Glad to hear this, my mum and gran both went blind because of retinopathy. I was only diagnosed 6 months ago but my sight is one of my biggest worries

I am the same... I worry about this too. My dad has also gone blind and my uncle lost both his legs. My uncle's legs was about 30 years ago, and our knolodge of diabetes and its effects have moved on loads. My dad went blind about 5 years ago, he had bleeding at the back of his eye for sometime and had a few eye operations but sadly he lost his sight.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What veg is good? I am still having most veg and salad (excluding root).

I'm not sure what veg is allowed on the diet you follow, but all fruit and veg is good not just for the eyes but all round health :)

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Well the day has nearly arrived. Tomorrow I go to the eye hospital in Manchester as I have been refered due to diabetic changes behind my eyes and after weeks of waiting finally get some answers. Hoping just background and nothing major, which I'm sure it is but will get all my answers tomorrow.