eye scan tomo?!

howie

new to T1, got my first eye scan tomo (with photos and eye drops), pretty nervous bout it, probably due to the last medical test i had having such dyer results! bit worried my pre-diagnoses high's may have done some damage.

i've gotta go all the way up the other end of town for it (+ up a hill) so thought i'll make use of it and jog up there. i've heard the eye drops 'F' your vision up for a while? anyone tell me how long this lasts? as i'm supposed to be working 2 hours later, + will i be capable of jogging home? providing the results keep me in good spirits!

howie

yipster29

Hi Howie I'm new T1 too

Had my 1st scan few weeks back and got a clean bill of health. Like you I was really worried I'd have done damage as over 30 at diagnosis and eyes took 6 weeks to return to normal but I was told the early scans 'get us in the system' and would be around 5 years before we could potentially see Retinal damage.

Also.. I was straight back to work after and regretted it... couldn't see a **!!@ng thing for about 4 hours!!! (and I work on a computer... I was useless) Also take sunglasses because as soon as I came out into sunlight it made them really sore! 8)

Apparently everyone differs though.. my Dad is a T2 and has no problems with the drops!

Good luck
Cath

bmtest

Last's an hour or so take some sunglasses for after as it will be bright outside also do not expect to read a paper after or do any computer work.

PatrickSutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burnt cheese, crispy bacon, avocados
I had my annual retinal screening examination today. Nothing too terrible about it: the drops sting a bit when they go in, but that passes quickly. My vision was a bit blurry afterwards, and didn't feel quite right until about four hours later, but I was still able to carrying on working when I got back to the office, typing a translation into a computer (enlarging the text display on the screen, though). Not sure about you jogging back - others might be better qualified to advise you on that. A pair of dark glasses would be useful if you have any distance to cover.

Hope this gives you some reassurance - and good luck!

howie

5 years! worst case scenario i hope!

does it drug you up then? or just make your pupils dilate?

yeah, my eyes went weird when i got on the insulin, they started better than before, came out the hospital and couldn't believe how clear everything was! but that wore off and now i need my glasses for cinema again. :(

at least i'll come out in style with the ray-bans then! 8)

cheers guys,
howie

p.s. spose just see how i feel after bout jogging back

yipster29

Just dilates pupils mate.

I'd have been OK for jogging... apart from the not being able to see!! Felt fine apart from the sore eyes.

Spiral

I had my first screening about a month ago. T2 and they said there were no problems, although I feel the need to put that in the context of a system that thinks an HbA1c of 7% is acceptable control.

As well as the sunglasses take a hat/cap as the brim will keep a bit more sun out of your eyes. Your eyes may be watery and blurry for around 6-8 hours, based on my experience.

My eyes took about 24 hours to return to something approaching normal, in that I stopped being very sensitive to the sun. I'd say it took almost 36 hours for the pupils to return to normal.

I went straight back to work after my scan. I am an essential car user and work at a computer, so the rest of my afternoon was a bit unproductive. I couldn't drive and couldn't see the screen :roll: so I ended up tidying out my desk :shock: :shock: :shock: and spending some quality time with the shredder (I found documents dating back to 2005 at the very bottom of my filing cabinet :shock: )

Next time I have it done I will take the rest of the day off, while my desk looks a lot better, I wasn't much use and my eyes were a bit uncomfortable, not helped by the office air conditioning system.