Eye screening/retinopathy.....

grandutero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm 37 and been type 1 since 5, so I'm a long timer, 30 odd years. I just came back from the usual eye screening of which I've pretty consistently been told I have background retinopathy but no treatment required. My HBA1c has been around 6 for the last 5 years or so. Anyhow's, recently my last HBA1c was 7.2. The screening just picked up some blood spots near the central vision part of my eye. The technician told me it would be considered background retinopathy but its got me scared as its near the central vision part of the eye.
Obviously I'm now on a mission to get my sugars back to where they were but I guess over the years I've become complacent.
Has anyone had this type of thing with their eyes and have they managed to reverse it through good control? The nurse showed me that some of the blood spots from the previous years have recovered so its not all doom and gloom I suppose.
Also, whats people experience of eye treatment (Im worried about that route).

Thanks for reading.

Joe

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm 37 and been type 1 since 5, so I'm a long timer, 30 odd years. I just came back from the usual eye screening of which I've pretty consistently been told I have background retinopathy but no treatment required. My HBA1c has been around 6 for the last 5 years or so. Anyhow's, recently my last HBA1c was 7.2. The screening just picked up some blood spots near the central vision part of my eye. The technician told me it would be considered background retinopathy but its got me scared as its near the central vision part of the eye.
Obviously I'm now on a mission to get my sugars back to where they were but I guess over the years I've become complacent.
Has anyone had this type of thing with their eyes and have they managed to reverse it through good control? The nurse showed me that some of the blood spots from the previous years have recovered so its not all doom and gloom I suppose.
Also, whats people experience of eye treatment (Im worried about that route).

Thanks for reading.

Joe

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November 16 with type two and I have managed to get my readings from 51 down to 46, which is in the prediabetic range im ing to go lower and get my readings down to under the normal level of 42 by counting everything I eat carbs suger and caleries and now have lost two stone, im not on any medication and don't want to go on any, im trying hard and ive just had a eyetest that has said I have background retinopathy im also trying to find outif it can disappear or reverse as this is woying me, if you do find out any info could you private messa me, thankyou kathy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in November 16 with type two and I have managed to get my readings from 51 down to 46, which is in the prediabetic range im ing to go lower and get my readings down to under the normal level of 42 by counting everything I eat carbs suger and caleries and now have lost two stone, im not on any medication and don't want to go on any, im trying hard and ive just had a eyetest that has said I have background retinopathy im also trying to find outif it can disappear or reverse as this is woying me, if you do find out any info could you private messa me, thankyou kathy
I had background retinopathy and a year later, keeping my HbA1c below 40 with diet, my screening says normal, so it can be reversed.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @grandutero
welcome to the forum ! :)
T1D for 44 years here -- have had some issues with my eyes ( mainly my left )
I have a macular odema really close to my central vision that they can't laser ( too close )
have had lucentis injections a few years ago -- right now it appears to have started behaving ( hasn't got worse )
I still drive and can see great in my right and ok in my left

BG control has been good for the last 15+ years

hope this helps ...... !!

grandutero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow so I'm not on a steady decline, it's given me a bit of a scare but that's probably a good thing . Really glad to hear you got you sight fixed. What was treatment like?
Thanks

Reactions: Serena51 and himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Wow so I'm not on a steady decline, it's given me a bit of a scare but that's probably a good thing . Really glad to hear you got you sight fixed. What was treatment like?
Thanks
hi @grandutero
complete personal opinion here -- I have not enjoyed treatment( understatement) -- but I am a big wimp when it comes to my eyes- I don't even like the stinging drops they put in to enlarge the pupils !!

some people on the forum say eye treatment is not bad at all.

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had background retinopathy and a year later, keeping my HbA1c below 40 with diet, my screening says normal, so it can be reversed.
thankyou for replying that gives me some hope I hope im as lucky as you with this background retinopathy

Reactions: fudge993