Eye sight

bigbaldnige

I've been diagnosed T2 2 weeks ago and since I started taking the metformin ive noticed my eye sight is really bad especially when doing close up work and reading is this normal I'm not seeing my diabetic nurse until the 25th.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
High bg makes the lens of the eyes swell leading to blurry vision, if you've still not got your bg levels under control this could be the reason why.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Best get a full eye test at the opticians, They will give you good advice. It should be free. (appointments should be easy and quick these days)
I would think your Doctor may recommend you visit the opticians first prior to various medication change.
Best of luck.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry it is the rapid decrease in your sugar levels that is causing the blur in your vision.

The lens of our eyes is full of fluid and that fluid contains glucose the same as our blood. As your blood glucose has come down so has the concentration of glucose in your eyes. As the glucose concentration in the eye lens fluid changes so does it's refractive index, the amount by which light is bent when it passes through it. Your mind is not used to this "new lens" and this is why your vision has blurred.

After a short period, your brain will compensate for the reduced glucose levels and your eyesight will return to how it was previously

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been diagnosed T2 2 weeks ago and since I started taking the metformin ive noticed my eye sight is really bad especially when doing close up work and reading is this normal I'm not seeing my diabetic nurse until the 25th.

I got my letter this weekend to make and appointment for my annual eye test. This is 8 weeks after I was first diagnosed. My appointment is on the 23rd of December as they are very busy. I have been advised I will not be able to drive after the eye exam as they use drops to dilate the pupils. This lets them take a photo of the back of the eye. You should get a letter and a pin number to quote. Also a list of places in your area you can get your eye exam done. I have good and bad days with my eyes at the moment. Once I get my BS under control I hope it settles down. I am hoping by the 23rd of December it will be 3 months from diagnosis and the metformin will have done it stuff.

Reactions: 2 people

stephiesut

The diabetic eye screening depends where you live. My area runs a clinic at the hospital so no need for pin numbers etc.
As for the bluriness, totally normal and it should go in a few weeks. Its a side effect of decreasing sugar levels. I was advised not to go for my usual annual eye test (not the retinal screening) for a few weeks after the bluriness goes as the prescription would be useless very quickly.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 on 10th September. And had my eye scan at the hospital Saturday 8th November, it was all clear. I will have another one in a year which will be at my Dr surgery as the hospital have a Mobil unit that goes around the surgeries. Your pupils are enlarge for a fair while after.

Reactions: 2 people