Eye Surgery soon, any experiences?

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a sudden vitreous haemorrhage last wednesday, and this wednesday I have been booked in for laser treatment. The first course anyway. They said they're going to remove an outer layer of the retina.

I still have blood obscuring my vision. How long did it take yours to fade away?
How long might I be blind on the day of surgery? They said most of the day.
They also said my peripheral vision would be worse. How much worse? What is it like?

I'm 31 so don't feel great having this happen so quickly. It'll be both eyes on the same day to cut down the number of sessions I need. Though I am worried I will want at least 1 working eye each time.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alister
I've had eye surgery and laser three times, but for non-diabetics reasons. Never had any pain. The laser didn't hurt. In an odd way it felt (although that's the wrong word) like when you eat popping candy, just strange and odd but not nasty.
With just the laser I can't remember being blind for any time at all, just very blurry from drops.
With my big surgery I had to stay in for a few hours but that mainly because the theatre lights caused me a major migraine (I am very light sensitive).
Put it this way, I've given birth, and had kidney stones , a thyroidectomy and 2 knee operations. In comparison eye surgery is a doodle, walk in, walk out, no pain. Easier than a filling at the dentist!

bonerp

I had a vitrectomy in 2010 and other eye in 2011. Unfortunately had a bleed in Feb this year but too close to Central vision for laser so onto injections. Really not looking forward to next Friday.
From the vitrectomy I have some scar tissue under eye lids which is painful if I rub eyes when I forget or eyes get dry.
I also lost some peripheral vision inside right eye and bottom area on left.
Just praying the injections work.

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had 2 different lasers, twice, in both eyes. It's not painful. The hardest thing I found was not looking at the dot!
Incidentally, I had injections too which were the worst experience of my life!