Eye test

andybob

I'm nearly due my 1st annual check up - will the practice nurse refer me for a retina check or is it something that can be done when I have my annual eye test at specsavers?
My numbers started off well after first being diagnosed. but recently are always at the top end of my recommended:
(Recommended nos. 6-8 before meals and 8-10 after meals). However I have had some hypos - real rapid drops!!!
Looking forward to discussing it at the review.

Andy

Elc1112

Hi Andy,

It differs depending on where you live. I normally get a letter shortly after my annual review inviting me to go to a screening. As it's your first review I'd ask your diabetes team when you see them - try might need to kick start things. The diabetic eye screening is different to the normal eyesight test you have. Your normal eyecheck might be able to show some diabetic problems, but the retina screening is much more detailed and will show up even the earliest signs of problems. It usually involves some eyedrops to dilate your pupils. They do sting fir the first five minutes and you'll probably look like you're high for the next few hours as your pupils will be HUGE! Thy will then take photos of the back of your eyes and write to you within 6 weeks. You'll be advised not to drive until the drops have worn off and I would also advise taking some sunglasses for when you come out - it can be very uncomfortable if it is sunny!

Hope this helps, and I hope the first annual review goes well.

Emma

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Andy

Emma has given you good advice. I would just add that the the eye screening can be done at Specsavers but not as part of your annual check-up, that's what I was told anyway.

I had mine done last year (first time) and as I have a pathological loathing of any "procedure" got myself into a bit of a state about getting it done, the good people of this forum reassured me and I went and had it done. There really is nothing to it, the drops only stung a bit in one of my eyes (trust me to be awkward ) :lol: and even with the dialted pupils, the fluorescent lighting wasn't bothering me. Definitely wouldn't be safe to drive with though!

Get your practice nurse to get you on the list for screening, I'm glad I went. All clear with me, hope you are the same. :)