Eyes after pregnancy

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! It's now 9 and a bit months after giving birth and all has gone well. Well, great apart from my eyes.

After about 8 years of doing just the bare minimum (over a year, probably 2 without testing... uuh) and finally dropping the levels to good number in 2012 probably bit too fast, I was prepared for some payback.
And so I had a good few sessions with the laser before pregnancy, but they seemed to have settled down fine after a while. I then got preganant and in the 3rd trimester they 'flared up' (despite alright control) and it has taken till now (and several laser sessions) for them to calm down again.

So now they are stable but there is very limited space for further 'panretinal photocoagulation'. I have all the fancy terms from the review but but will spare you...

We are sort of hoping for another one (baby I mean) and yeah, I know that eyes are very individual with diabetes (my dad has had t1 over 65 years and never needed laser), but would still really appreciate hearing how your eyes have dealt with the pregnancies - especially with several. And how they've been treated.

On asking about the eye departments view on future pregnancy one consultant said 'fine, go for it' and another one was 'well, it's a risk, innit'.

Apparently there is something protective (re eyes) if have the next one within 2 years?
Sorry for the long story. There is a recent question about multiple pregnancies which I am following, but was just keen to hear specifically about eyes.
Many thanks x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there pitsgate
dont know for sure if this is worth a look for you but has been cool for me
www.noctura.com it is a non invasive sleep mask that looks to reduce diabetic retinopathy and early signs have been very positive for me.
btw -- have had some laser and have also had lucentis injections so not speaking out of turn as it were

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Huh, ok... That sounds very interesting. I've not come across this before. Shall investigate further. Shame I just had my 3 monthly eye app, would have been good to hear what know (or don't know) about it. Thanks for the heads up!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I probably should have explained a bit more-- I came across it reading a funding article in the business section of the sunday Times in august 2014 -- i emailed them and attended a seminar in october and was extremely impressed by the results it is getting.

It is not currently approved by the NHS -- it is at stage 3 trials for NICE approval

Hence I am self funding -- it is £250 for a mask that last 12 weeks-- they are rolling out the number of optometrists able to issue the mask . best bet if interested is to email them -- mention my nickname -- "himtoo" they know me there .
most likely a girl called Kerry will be back in touch with you to check suitability and explain more about the mask

My opthalmology consultant at hospital had never heard of it until I told him -- he is slightly sitting on the fence yet but he was impressed with the decrease in the thickness of my macular layer and reduction in scarring on my retina -- i have been using the mask for just over 8 months so far. I think he wants a longer amount of evidence to be totally convinced

Good Luck !