Eyes and Feet

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that having been diagnosed with Type 2, I should have my eyes and feet tested. Do I need to wait for my GP to refer me for the eye thing or do I do it myself and pay for it.

I also believe that I need to pay for the chiropody appointment.

Is this correct? Do I wait for a referral or do it myself?

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed back in January and I was sent a letter with an appointment for my eyes to be tested at my local hospital.

Reactions: 2 people

stueyt83

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes wait for the nurse to refer you as you get a pin number (which comes from retina screening place)to allow you to book got mine on sunday
also with the feet they should make you a appointment with a local podiatrist had mine done yesterday i was all clear but nice to get feet sorted

C

catherinecherub

@stuey83,

It is not the same for everyone. I get an appointment letter, no pin number, for retinal screening and I pay for my own podiatry because I do not have any problems.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When my brother was diagnosed as Type 2 his GP told him to get his eyes tested. The optician did the usual sight test and offered him retinal screening which he had to pay for.

I told him he should get that done on the NHS but it was a few years before he asked the practice nurse about this. She forgot to refer him so he had to pay again the following year. Since being referred, he has had the screening at hospital.

Hopefully your GP will refer you soon and you'll get annual screening appointments.

Your feet should be checked as part of your annual review. This can be done by your doctor, nurse or by your chiropodists.