Eyes

desertbear42

T2 since September 2010 - have excellent GP care and pleased how everything appears to be under control. The one problem I have is getting an appointment to have my eyes screened. My GP wrote to the NHS is September last year - chased them in December and again in April 2011 - and still no appointment. Any suggestions about what I can do ? Its frustrating as I try and be as proactive about T2 as I can but im up against a wall here...

C

catherinecherub

Personally I would get in touch with the PCT and explain your concerns. Eyes are precious and need to be checked.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Is it possible for opticians to do a screening?

Maybe worth looking into as i agree taking care of your eyes is paramount.

louiseb

I completely agree with catherine that you should contact your PCT, in the mean time while you are trying to sort out an appointment for your screening make an appointment for an eye test with an optician try vision express, as they take a picture od the back of the eye and have this to refer back to when you return for your next appointment and can monitor any changes.
an eye test is completely free of charge for all diabetics.
diabetic eye screening is usually carried out around about the time of diagnosis and once every year after that.
however I have been diagnosed for 16 months and im just going for my first eye next week.

kjt57

Definately push for an apointment. I was only diagnosed early May, and I have my apointment first week of july.... Must be dependant on the area you live.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
Personally I would get in touch with the PCT and explain your concerns. Eyes are precious and need to be checked.

I agree with the above that this is the best course of action.

Nigel

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
when I was first diagnosed I had to wait nearly two years for my first eye screening. it was also a year before I got the one day diabetes course at the hospital. the nhs seems to 'lose' me at times.

Jane

desertbear42

thanks for all your comments. I did email the Surrey PCT and had a reply the same day saying they had passed my email to the Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Service Surrey (DRSSS) who would contact me directly....we shall see...

desertbear42

Thanks to you all for the tip about contacting my PCT. The retinopathy screeening service got in direct touch with me and an appointment made for next week.... :)

louiseb

thats great glad to hear it,
I had my first retinopathy screeening this week and it was very straight forward only took a minute, I idnt even need eye drops becuase im under 50.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
desertbear42 said:
Thanks to you all for the tip about contacting my PCT. The retinopathy screeening service got in direct touch with me and an appointment made for next week.... :)

Good news! :D

Nigel

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, great result eh? you do need to get your eyes checked out. it should be done yearly. good luck and let us know how you go on. Anna.x :)