Facts make me anxious

bevellar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had some facts about type 1 and longer life expectancy but when I read further it said that people with type 1 live approx 12 years less than the average person
These reports really scare me and heighten my anxiety

Anyone else feel the same ??

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take these "facts" with a pinch of salt since they are largely based around averages and from old data.

The tools available today are much better and allow you to keep really tight control which should reduce your risk factors massively.

In any case who knows how long you would have lived without T1?
I ignore those "facts" and focus on living my life in the here and now, I know this is hard for some people but best focus on things that you can have an effect on and try to forget the rest.

Hope you have a great weekend :)

/A

Reactions: 14 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had some facts about type 1 and longer life expectancy but when I read further it said that people with type 1 live approx 12 years less than the average person
These reports really scare me and heighten my anxiety

Anyone else feel the same ??

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
Nope... When I was 12.? I broke into a "lodging" student nurse's room while she was out clubbing to read her books... (No internet back in the 80s.) that's two years on what I read.... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In any case who knows how long you would have lived without T1?
I ignore those "facts" and focus on living my life in the here and now, I know this is hard for some people but best focus on things that you can have an effect on and try to forget the rest.

Couldn't agree more @AndyS, great reply.

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I'm 67 and had T1 for over 54 years and there are many more older than me with T1,providing you look after the diabetes I can't see why you shouldn't achieve normal life expectancy,I certainly intend too.

Reactions: 11 people