Fainted during my laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy

Reb110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I got diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy about 3 weeks ago and got told that I need two sessions of laser treatment in both eyes. I did my research on the laser and everyone I found said that it doesn't hurt so don't worry. I went to my first session last week and fainted halfway through the treatment on my right eye, it really hurt and I could feel cracking in my eye, i've now got to have half an eye at each appointment. I've got the next appointment tomorrow and I'm really worrying, is it meant to hurt? and has anyone had issues with the treatment?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that.
I've had it and it didn't hurt. I sort of felt an odd mild popping/cracking sensation but nothing painful. I describe it as like the sensation you get when eating popping candy, weird but not hurting. It was more of a sensation/sound than a real feeling, certainly not painful and lasted only a split second.
Were you particularly worried or stressed leading up to it that could have caused you to faint? Could you use relaxation/deep breathing techniques to help you tomorrow? You might find it less of a surprise and be able to handle it better.
Its so worth having it doen to save your sight

Reactions: Reb110

Reb110

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that.
I've had it and it didn't hurt. I sort of felt an odd mild popping/cracking sensation but nothing painful. I describe it as like the sensation you get when eating popping candy, weird but not hurting. It was more of a sensation/sound than a real feeling, certainly not painful and lasted only a split second.
Were you particularly worried or stressed leading up to it that could have caused you to faint? Could you use relaxation/deep breathing techniques to help you tomorrow? You might find it less of a surprise and be able to handle it better.
Its so worth having it doen to save your sight

Thanks, I hadn't though of that, I've downloaded some relaxation techniques and I'm going to try that tomorrow. What ever happens I will keep having it, as like you said its worth it to save your sight.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had several sessions and I found it was generally painless, but if the operator kept on the same spot for too long, then it hurt. We organised a semaphore exchange where I grunted and he moved the beam to accommodate. Not foolproof, but was a way of lessening the discomfort. Talk to the person on the other side of the 'knife'. Audio seems to work, but raising a hand does not since they are looking into your eye full-time and will not see it, Do you call the operator "surgeon" I wonder? Whatever you call him, be polite.