Fake Hypo Symptons

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for the odd question but I'm due to start Byetta to reduce my sugars which are currently running between 8 - 10 before meals and 9 - 13 after meals. My consultant wants these numbers down to 4-6 before meals and 6-9 after meals.

Anyway I've noticed on occasions in the past that I can get really irritable, snappy, headachey and when I test my sugars are around 7 after a meal yet I feel hypo.

I am presuming that when my sugars start dropping from the treatment I will experience something similar to having fake hypos's when I'm not really and having to apologise to people around me for snapping at them!!

If this is so maybe I had better hibernate for a few days!!

Any ideas how long I could expect this to go on for?

Thanks and sorry for being an annoying pest!!

Daz

Hi Fiona, no question on here will ever be seen as anoying, to you its an important question and thats all that matters.

I get the same symptoms too, Ive been told that its because your body is used to running on high sugars and it doesnt like it at first when they get in the normal range.

after a week or so of normal sugars the symptoms will subside.....fingers crossed !!!

pinklady

hi fiona, this happened to me once or twice and my diabetes nurse said it's just a result of haveing had sugars running a bit high for a while so your body is tricked into thinking your having a hypo, just like you said. It didn't happen to me very much but at the time I was worried and the nurse just said it shouldn't last for long, the body soon adjusts. Just make sure you always check and don't rub off the feelings as fake!

Trinkwasser

Sometimes (Reactive Hypoglycemia) a rapid drop can give you similar symptoms to an actual low.

I've felt more hypo at 5.5 when I got there following a rapid drop from 10 than at 3.5 when I descended gently from 4.

As your body gets used to normal numbers this should wear off.