Fallen off the wagon?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Wake up call today after annual diabetic check to find my blood sugars have doubled from 5.7 to 11 in the last year - in fact the last 6 months! Highest ever since diagnosis in 2007! I had ear surgery in May and my fasting sugar was 7.1, so what has gone wrong? I haven't been so hot on my sugar intake as I should have been, but even so I haven't completely given up. There is one major change in my life and that is stopping smoking! I am very upset at these latest figures and intend to do my utmost to reverse it, but I am not entirely surprised as my body has been telling me something in last week or so. I seem to more thirsty than normal, resulting in more passing of urine than usual, my legs and feet have been throbbing, burning more than usual and I have developed random itching in all kinds of places from head, ears, torso, and other places. All seems to have gone awry with the quitting smoking - so I am wondering if the changes and adaptions to my body as an effect of this could engender higher blood sugar readings - albeit short term (she says hopefully) - otherwise I cannot think of any valid reason for such a dramatic change in such a short time span. I haven't really eaten much more since giving up the evil weed, although I did allow myself a few extra treats at first, figuring I could worry about that a little later as it was better in the short term if it meant successful quitting. Any opinions, positive please☺?

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well all I can say is well done for quitting the weed .. and I fetch you a ladder to help you get back on the wagon :)

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Well all I can say is well done for quitting the weed .. and I fetch you a ladder to help you get back on the wagon :)
Thanks for reply I am really pleased to be off the evil weed - your humour put a smile on my face ☺ I have researched and it seems giving up smoking can temporarily up blood sugars in anyone, db or not, for up to 3 years. Now how to figure out how to lower them in less that 3 years

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
" I haven't been so hot on my sugar intake as I should have been, but even so I haven't completely given up."
"Although I did allow myself a few extra treats at first, figuring I could worry about that a little later as it was better in the short term if it meant successful quitting."

I think you've answered your own question. Those are the two statements you made that stood out to me.

Were you on any medication for your surgery? That could have affected things too.
Of course, quitting smoking is a wonderful thing, but as you mentioned that could also have an affect on your levels combined with the added stress from quitting as well.

Lots of variables and plenty of the things you mentioned could be contributing to the situation. We can only speculate.

Sounds like you may need to tighten things up again in order to get back to where you were before.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
" I haven't been so hot on my sugar intake as I should have been, but even so I haven't completely given up."
"Although I did allow myself a few extra treats at first, figuring I could worry about that a little later as it was better in the short term if it meant successful quitting."

I think you've answered your own question. Those are the two statements you made that stood out to me.

Were you on any medication for your surgery? That could have affected things too.
Of course, quitting smoking is a wonderful thing, but as you mentioned that could also have an affect on your levels combined with the added stress from quitting as well.

Lots of variables and plenty of the things you mentioned could be contributing to the situation. We can only speculate.

Sounds like you may need to tighten things up again in order to get back to where you were before.
Thanks for reply, yes, I think I've answered my own question. I have been googling the issue and there is very strong evidence that either starting to smoke or quitting can most definitely up sugar levels even in non db's - hence such a huge rise in short time span! Now to work on lowering them again

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was most likely a combination of the surgery and the stress of giving up smoking. When you are ill your BGs tend to go up - mine went mental just from a bad chest infection and took months to come back down. Stress also affects your BGs and giving up smoking has got to be one of the most stressful things! WELL DONE!!!! :)

It sounds as though you are back on track and keeping a close eye on your carbs, so keep up the good work! :D

bigjohn9916

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who use abbreviations without explanation.
text speak.
exChocoholic. it takes time, I gave up smoking 4 months ago, the day I was diagnosed diabetic and just this week I have started to notice my bg levels have started to come down a little,
My sister gets all itchy when she has to much chocolate! maybe you have become allergic to it?:)
I can laugh because I don't like chocolate. not even as a child :rolleyes: although a Mars bar and a can of coke is a good hangover cure. But why do people get upset when you turn down a chocolate and then try to persuade you to have one. I shall see over christmas if saying I am diabetic will make a difference.
Keep up the good work and remember things can only get better.

Reactions: 2 people

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Just seen this Cat lady 19 - had quick look back - not sure what you refer to - no recovery, definitely - did I say there was certainly not what I meant.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this Cat lady 19 - had quick look back - not sure what you refer to - no recovery, definitely - did I say there was certainly not what I meant.

My take was @Catlady19 meant there was no recovery as an exChocoholic . That means, to me, you can never get over being a chocoholic. She follwed up with a wink, so I hope I'm right. :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @ExChocoholic

Congratulations on giving away the cigs. I was just wondering are you self testing? (It seemed that you were surprised by your annual review figures) I'm also interested in how you gave up smoking as well as it is something that I am going to have to tackle very shortly

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Ah, sorry been a long day - Hba1 results today - not good -

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Still feel that giving up cigs changed my metabolism plus recently had nasty virus - have pushed BS levels up - getting them down is another thing!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Sorry about the poor result and no doubt you are feeling down. However, you have recently quit the most evil addictive habit in this world so I have no doubt you can get on top of this quickly and get control. I noticed from another post that you have a meter and strips coming. This will mean that you will get no more nasty shocks as you will know where your levels are at and be able to control and improve them. In the short-term a little exercise after meals and reducing carbs can make a difference. This forum has been a great support to me so please use it to get whatever support and answers you need and to post your levels when you start testing