Family putting me down because I’m now diabetic

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your helpful words!, do you know how likely it could be that it will progress to get worse?, I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I read that people who keep the weight off and eat right are very unlikely to see any worse results

It all depends on you keeping you numbers down when you know and learn how to do that and keep your weight down too try to do some moving or exercise daily also helps . But most important do the healthy low carb eating style .

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I said I don’t need medication and they was like ‘you’ll end up dead if you don’t’....I went home crying!
If you can, do try to turn that feeling of despair into one of fighting mode instead. You want to prove them wrong. Perhaps they're a bit envious that they don't have the knowledge and the strength to cope with T2 that you have, and that you're young and have everything going for you?
I don't know if this is even remotely true, obviously, but I imagine a bunch of T2 relatives going "what makes her think she's so different? Ha! She'll end up just like us no matter what she does. By the way, when're you having your foot off, Harold. Is that on Monday?". I know my imagination is running a bit amuck here, but you get the drift. One day they'll realise that you did the right thing.

I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I read that people who keep the weight off and eat right are very unlikely to see any worse results
Well, you're right about the 'eat right' bit, but I've learned that eating right (LCHF/keto) is far more important to my BG levels than my weight. About 10% of T2s don't have a weight problem and didn't at diagnosis, and for those that do, the problem is a symptom of metabolic disorder/T2 rather than the other way around. In other words, you didn't become diabetic because you had too much to carry around. You were destined to get it because of your genes and eating what everybody does. Not a good combo, but how were you to know?
Wipe your tears and go to war! :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for your helpful words!, do you know how likely it could be that it will progress to get worse?, I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I read that people who keep the weight off and eat right are very unlikely to see any worse results
@Mollyc1995 I can have no idea how likely your type 2 is to progress, some people start and fall back into old habits, others keep up a new regime; however the results can be very different depending on the individual. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst is a good way of thinking. No-one knows the future, but we can be the best we can be today. You say you have a lot of weight to lose, but it took a long time piling on, take it gently removing it. Don't expect an overnight miracle. I lost a pound a week after my colleagues started to comment that I was getting slimmer. Now they accept my new shape and I have stuck to the lower carb regime. I reckoned that if I continued to lose weight slowly I would have a smaller adjustment at the end to have a maintenance diet. Now I have achieved a reasonable weight I am able to maintain it and coincidentally it means that my bg levels are at a reasonable level. Some days they are higher than others but I put that down to possibly incubating a cold, being stressed at work or at home. Take each day as it comes and enjoy the good times it brings. I understand that some people will progress and eventually end up on insulin others seem to start from the same place but their type 2 does not progress. I can not predict the future for you but you can make the best effort to help yourself and to delay any progression due to your genetic inheritance for as long as possible.
By the summer you will be belting and wearing 'over-size style', by next Christmas people can give you the basics for a new wardrobe a couple of sizes smaller, this time next year you will hit a maintenance level with both weight loss and your bg. Keep a regular record of your weight, body measurements and exercise taken and you will see progress most weeks.
Good luck and keep posting.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
It sounds to me like your family want to believe that it is an inevitably progressive condition. Then it's not their fault when they get worse, and they don't have to make big lifestyle changes. Hopefully seeing you do well might make them think.