Farrowlily

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My friend has just been told she I'd high risk at 6.5 and now thinks she is diabetic it wasbinoy from a finger prick and has to have a fasting blood test she has o c d and has gone into panic why do nurses do this

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend has just been told she I'd high risk at 6.5 and now thinks she is diabetic it wasbinoy from a finger prick and has to have a fasting blood test she has o c d and has gone into panic why do nurses do this

Hi @Farrowlily ,

Welcome to the forum.

Was this "finger prick test" done to your friend after a meal?

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
That's not high blood sugar at all. Little to worry about imo. Unless it was a fasting reading then it may be a little high depending if she had eaten or not. Keep it monitored if you can, if it goes higher regularly then there may be an issue otherwise it would be fine. You have to determine what was consumed pre test.

"Normal and diabetic blood sugar ranges. For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows: Between 4.0 to 6.0 mmol/L (72 to 108 mg/dL) when fasting. Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating."

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She would benefit (like everyone) from reducing the ready meals and fast food she eats along with any food that has added sugar.

The only real way to tell the risk of Type 2 is to do a fasting insulin level test or even better track insulin levels for 5 hours after food - but don't expect the NHS to have the money for this:(