Fasting B/S's correcting Basal

Blackadder

I am confused by this. Now the fasting B/S is the one first thing in the morning after around 8 hours of no eating?

This determines what you need to do to your basal insulin to keep an even line?

I inject at 10pm Lantus 14 units. If my bed time BS is lets say 6mmol, should it be 6 or lower when I awake? If I am high at bedtime will it still be high when I awake because its not really lowering its just keeping it on an even keel?

I then inject at midday a second lot of 14u. This stops the late evening BS rise. BUT the other day I forgot the midday injection and had no lunch and my BS's were more even all day then usual, although my evening rapid and meal was later than usual and the day after intense exercise. So what is this telling me? Cos I am getting real confused. Should I not be doing the midday injection am I taking on too much basal insulin and its not doing a lot. I generally tend to go low(ish) around the 11am - 2pm time but that could be just the rapid inj for my lunch.

Don't get me wrong I am keeping my BS's in the 4-7 mark the odd 8+ but generally pretty good. I just want to fine tune to the 4-6 and then 4-5 etc etc...

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Slinger

hi blackadder

i wont stop taking your lantus, you have to understand that the lantus is working for about 36 hours not 24 or so i have been told.

Do you do carb counting? if you dont it could be a way to get your target levels spot on. it does sound like you do have good control of your bg. if you would like more info on carb counting if you need it then message me and i can explain in detail.

ste

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Lantus is marketed as a 24 hour insulin, but in some cases it doesn't last that long... hense why some people need 2 injections a day. The idea behind that is to keep a nice flat basal rate... it takes some experimenting to get it right though.

It sounds like you're doing well if all your numbers at in 4-7 range...

fast bs really is when you dont have any rapid insulin on board and you haven't eaten for over 5 hours... that's what i've been told by the pro's anyway... if you want to get some good profiles of your basals then you can test every hour or two while you're fasting. I usually fast for 12 hours beacuse i dont eat breakfast most of the time. I just drink water.

If you go to bed high.... and you basal rate is right, you should come down gradually to your normal base line BS.