1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Fasting BG and hba1c results

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Captaindiamond, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Captaindiamond

Captaindiamond · Member

Is there any relationship between the 2 that is useful. If you consistently have a 6.2 reading each morning would you expect that your hba1c would come in higher than that figure. If so how can you best estimate what your hba1c might be.

2. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Before and after eating numbers are important as well, to get a full picture.
    There are Apps that will estimate your A1C if you put in enough data.

3. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, FBG is always seen as a baseline the body likes to get back to.
    A healthy non-diabetic could expect to be back to pre-meal levels about 3-4 hours after eating.
    So if your baseline is low then your HbA1c should be lower too.

A low FBG can also mask large spikes which many people have after eating heavy carb meals.
    The HbA1c might be in the normal range but only cause their fasting state smooths out the averages.

4. Ronancastled

Great advice.
    If you know your fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour & 3 hour values over a typical day you can make a good stab at your HbA1c.
    Divide your day in 24 slots & input your estimated average BG for each hour period.
    Add them up & divide by 24.
    That should give your an average BG over a typical day.
    Then use the chart below or one of the online convertors to estimate your A1c.

[​IMG]

I did it & it matched my lab result perfectly, was well chuffed.

5. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I use mySugr App and it calculates the A1C.
    My lab work is is usually within one or two points. Of course it’s only as good as the amount of information a person puts in.

6. Captaindiamond

Captaindiamond · Member

Hi. When you worked out your own average did you then use the chart by looking at your average reading on bottom line and then reading HBA1c on top line or were you converting from 2nd line down

7. Ronancastled

My meter showed glucose reading in mmol/L (UK Standard) so I worked out my average reading over a 24 hour period was 5.7mmol/L. Then I read upwards on the chart to see my HbA1c which was 33 (5.2% in old money). Simple as that.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook