Fasting blood glucose HIGHS

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im a T2. On metformin 1000mg am, 1000mg. I am checking my levels through the day for the next 2 weeks to help my nurse determine the next steps for my medication. I hav3 noticed my fbg are very high 22.3, 19.6 etc and then dwindle slightly during the day 18.8, 17.2. Which confuses me as I would expect the higher levels to be during the day with food, not after fasting. Anyone have any idea's? T.I.A

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. It is often quoted as 'The Dawn Phenomenom' quite a lot of info on the site if you look around.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Those are all high numbers. Also look at LOW carb a High Fat diet at www.dietdoctor.com. Take care

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness, those are all high readings.
These are the recommendations from NICE that the NHS adopts

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Have you sorted out a suitable diet yet? It may be your food choices aren't doing you any favours.
Can you tell us when you were diagnosed, what your latest HbA1c is, if you have weight to lose, and give us some idea of a typical day's food? That may help us to help you.

Edit: I see you have posted about your levels before and received some advice. Have you been able to work out what to do to bring those levels right down? Diet is the key, not Metformin.

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have lost 2 stone since I was diagnosed in dec, by lowering my carbs and making better choices which my nurse and I am very proud of. When I was diagnosed my HBA1C was 69 and have been on 1500mg metformin daily since and my last 2 HBA1C's were 99 and 101. As I mentioned I have a meeting with my nurse and her 'senior' to look at the next steps medication wise. As it seems diet and metformin are not making a blind bit of difference.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you have been lowering your carbs, but by how much? How many grams a day are you eating? Are you still eating bread, cereals, pasta, rice, potatoes, things made with flour? Are you using a meter to test your meals out as see just which foods are causing your levels to be so high? What exactly do you eat in a typical day?

Well done on the weight loss by the way. :)