Fasting blood reading is going up

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I was diagnosed with T2 in November. I've lost 1.5 stone in weight (10% of my body weight) on a low carb diet (less than 25gm per day). I now do at least an hour of exercise every day (A mix of rugby refereeing, exercise bike and power walking).
My BS was average 5.9 fasting and 6.3 during the day at the beginning of January but has steadily risen to 6.8 fasting and 6.7 average in the last two weeks.
Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong please?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dexterdobe do you keep a food diary? I ask because I have had the same issues, and the problem appears to be carb creep. Looking back I am eating more carbs now than I was a year ago. Initially this was deliberate, and my BG reading were little changed. I thought that maybe I was more tolerant to carbs, but the cumulative effect says otherwise

Reactions: kokhongw

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've stuck to pretty much the same diet throughout Walnut Face. I avoid all carb foods. The only carbs I get are from vegetables, nuts seeds etc. If anything my carb intake has fallen as I've cut out the occasional sandwich etc in the last month.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be physiological insulin resistance. (PIR) This is completely different from diabetic insulin resistance.

When someone eats very low carb, the body is aware there is a low level of glucose in the blood and very cleverly tries to preserve what there is for the few things that may need it, such as the brain and the red blood cells. The body does this by telling the muscles to reject any glucose the insulin tries to push in for energy, hence saving it for more important organs. Glucose then builds up and we see slightly raised levels usually when fasting and before meals.

You can either accept this, or spend a couple of days increasing your carbs and by doing this, the PIR will cease and you will go back to normal levels. It may happen again of course. :)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is interesting thanks Bluetit 1802. I've actually gone the other way and reduced my carbs still further to try to get the numbers down. So that I am sure, are you saying that the numbers may fall if I increase my carbs for a few days and that if they do fall I can try going back to very low carbs again? I have found that on the very rare occasions I have had a high carb meal, my BG has really spiked two hours later. Presumably, a moderate increase will cause the BG to go up slightly at first and then fall again if you are right. A further question, if I stick to my very low carb diet, will the numbers eventually fall or is PIR something you are stuck with if you get it?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is interesting thanks Bluetit 1802. I've actually gone the other way and reduced my carbs still further to try to get the numbers down. So that I am sure, are you saying that the numbers may fall if I increase my carbs for a few days and that if they do fall I can try going back to very low carbs again? I have found that on the very rare occasions I have had a high carb meal, my BG has really spiked two hours later. Presumably, a moderate increase will cause the BG to go up slightly at first and then fall again if you are right. A further question, if I stick to my very low carb diet, will the numbers eventually fall or is PIR something you are stuck with if you get it?
I've just had a further thought. Exercise after meals reduces my BG by up to 2 points. Is this a further sign that PIR may be the issue, please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, a few extra carbs for 2 or 3 days then back to normal carb amounts may do it. Just enough to stop your body trying to save low glucose levels for the brain. It shouldn't need a big carb increase, maybe just a few extra grams each meal (a slice of bread?) Then your body should stop trying to save some glucose. Your BG may well spike after the "slice of bread" but you will have to accept this. It is only for 2 or 3 days. Then stop.

The PIR may well stop on its own. I don't know. It is all trial and error. What works for one may not work for anothger.

I've just had a further thought. Exercise after meals reduces my BG by up to 2 points. Is this a further sign that PIR may be the issue, please?

No, nothing to do with it.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
another thing to consider - have you changed to a new tub of test strips ?- 15% variance on accuracy could cover the increase you are talking about ?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
another thing to consider - have you changed to a new tub of test strips ?- 15% variance on accuracy could cover the increase you are talking about ?
Ah. I have changed to a new tub of strips, so that may be the answer thanks.
I have my repeat HBa1C test on 7th Feb, so I think I will just stay calm and wait to see what that tells me.
It's a vicious circle isn't it? You worry and your BG goes up. the increase worries you and it goes up further. Note to self: BE CALM.

Reactions: Bluetit1802