fasting blood sugar

brandonm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at my recent doctors visit we went over metabolic panel results from when i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with an a1c of 6.8 but i noticed for FBS it showed 121 also i never recieved a second a1c to confirm diagnosis. on my next visit i'll bring it up to my doctor because i thought a fasting blood of 126+ was diabetic.

Thoughts?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in the UK an HbA1c of 6.8 would strongly suggest diabetes although there would usually be a follow up re-test a few weeks later to confirm
As one off readings are so variable it's rare to find anyone who has been diagnosed from a Fasting Blood glucose level unless it's astronomical.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
at my recent doctors visit we went over metabolic panel results from when i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with an a1c of 6.8 but i noticed for FBS it showed 121 also i never recieved a second a1c to confirm diagnosis. on my next visit i'll bring it up to my doctor because i thought a fasting blood of 126+ was diabetic.

Thoughts?

What are you trying to achieve? You have had a subsequent HbA1c test of 5.1%. Are you trying to say you were misdiagnosed as diabetic initially?

brandonm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you trying to achieve? You have had a subsequent HbA1c test of 5.1%. Are you trying to say you were misdiagnosed as diabetic initially?
no im not trying to convince myself im not diabetic. im just curious about the 121 fbs as i thought 126 or higher was diabetic thats all

Reactions: Ponchu

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
no im not trying to convince myself im not diabetic. im just curious about the 121 fbs as i thought 126 or higher was diabetic thats all

In the UK the fasting glucose test is not used to diagnose T2 without further tests. Normally someone with fairly borderline fasting and HbA1c will have a second test within a couple of weeks. Then a decision on diagnosis will be made. In fact, many surgeries in the UK have abandoned the fasting test completely.

Ponchu

Being that close, treat it as if it is Type 2 and your health will prosper.

If you ignore it, you’ll end up “official” sooner or later.