Fasting glucose and CGM

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen people on this forum mention their fasting glucose numbers, seemingly determined from their CGM.

How are you all doing this - what number are you looking at and when? Or am I misunderstanding.

LivingLightly

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @aris.

Most of us on the FBG thread for type 2s (and the parallel thread for all comers) test on waking; not because it's the 'correct' fasting level, but because logging the reading when we wake makes the conditions pre test as close to identical as possible. It provides a useful benchmark for day to day comparison.

Our BG numbers rise once we start to move around. That's normal and to be expected.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul41 and Rachox

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, that makes sense.

I'm still trying to underst what behaviours change it. Sometimes my base level (outside it being affected by food) during the day is in the 5's sometimes it is in the 6's. I can't fig out what is causing the variance.

I'm ok with both, but I'd rather be in the 5's.

Paul41

I've seen people on this forum mention their fasting glucose numbers, seemingly determined from their CGM.

How are you all doing this - what number are you looking at and when? Or am I misunderstanding.

I might be misunderstanding you if so sorry but here goes.
I don’t know if you are familiar with CGM’s but they monitor BG ( well indirectly) 24/7.

Attached is a snapshot of a day of when I was wearing/ using a Libre 2 sensor.

FYI I’m a well controlled pre diabetic and the graph is one I’m proud of .
But anyway as you can see from the graph you can see what your BG is doing at any time of day.

Much like has been described by using finger prick testing you can log events on the CGM to know when you have eaten etc.

I hope I’ve understood and this helps.
IMG_1367.jpg

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I using a cgm too. Just wanted to know what number people were using when quoting fasting glucose. Waking makes sense. You been fasting since last meal.

Reactions: Paul41

Paul41

I using a cgm too. Just wanted to know what number people were using when quoting fasting glucose. Waking makes sense. You been fasting since last meal.

OK my bad.

When using the CGM as I did to nail down my diet yes I logged on waking . A while ago my BG used to rise very early morning but that settled.

Sorry for the confusion

Antje77

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting glucose is all BG levels between some 8 hours after last meal and first eating.
If the level fluctuates during this time, it only shows that fasting glucose doesn't tell all.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, that makes sense.

I'm still trying to underst what behaviours change it. Sometimes my base level (outside it being affected by food) during the day is in the 5's sometimes it is in the 6's. I can't fig out what is causing the variance.

I'm ok with both, but I'd rather be in the 5's.
I've been doing waking (or more precisely "just after first wee") testing since 01 April 2020, and still can't see any rationale
Basically I think
4s rare, but nice
5s good
6s OK
7s hmm, is something going on?
8s check for infection/illness

I'm mostly 6s, and that's seems OK. I am due an hba1c soon. I just can't worry about daily variances, there's not enough time and too many variables that can affect it eg
Sleep, quantity and quality
Exercise, quantity and intensity and duration
Food
Medication
Stress
Temperature
Alcohol
Genes!
And probably more.
Too many for my little brain ;)

Reactions: aris

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing waking (or more precisely "just after first wee") testing since 01 April 2020, and still can't see any rationale
Basically I think
4s rare, but nice
5s good
6s OK
7s hmm, is something going on?
8s check for infection/illness

I'm mostly 6s, and that's seems OK. I am due an hba1c soon. I just can't worry about daily variances, there's not enough time and too many variables that can affect it eg
Sleep, quantity and quality
Exercise, quantity and intensity and duration
Food
Medication
Stress
Temperature
Alcohol
Genes!
And probably more.
Too many for my little brain ;)
Thank you. Good to know it isn't just me

Going to keep trying to get it steady 5's if I can.

Reactions: MrsA2