Fasting levels?

Lovespud198

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi I was diagnosed prediabetic in December with a fasting glucose of 6.1 and hba1c of 46 having had gestational diabetes twice. I have been monitoring my blood since and cutting out a lot of carbs. What has concerned me is my high fasting compared to the levels the doctors saw, they seem to be getting worse, I had one of 8.9 yesterday which is ridiculous,should this be a cause for concern to go back to the doctor? I understand the whole dawn phenomenon but it is normally taken before breakfast and is consistently high and high after breakfast as well, I always had very low numbers when I had gd (<5) so this seems quite unusual to me. All my other readings through the day seem fine. Just worried it's developed more into type 2 as been an it 6 weeks since bloods were done.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi Lovespud198
Trying to decipher a single meter reading is difficult because there are so many factors that can influence your glucose levels. How well you slept, how long since your last meal, the amount of carbs in your last meal, stress, activity levels.
Your fasting reading should ideally be taken as soon after you wake up as possible. Between getting out of bed and having your breakfast. Normal things we all do will result in a higher reading, showering, housework, getting the kids ready for school.
Another thing to bear in mind is the accuracy of the meters, + or - 15% so for example if your reading is 6mmol, the actual level could be anything between 5.01 and 7.06

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A HBA1C of 46 means your average blood glucose over the prior 3 months was 7.6mmol/L. Some people have more trouble with fasting levels than others.

For me my fasting it is quick to rise and takes consistent lower carb of months to fall. Others have more problems with post meal levels.

Please give it time, one home reading does not mean you have progressed. If you are consistently seeing high levels, but are otherwise in good health, sleeping well etc then yes further lab testing at 12 weeks is advisable.

How are you getting on with the carb cutting? I'm getting back to it after indulging over xmas and seeing higher numbers due to a bad cold.

Reactions: Lovespud198

Lovespud198

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm doing ok,had a few blips, managing well with the yoghurt for breakfast and seeds or just eggs,it's the evenings I struggle with as still have Xmas snacks! I am trying the 8 week blood sugar diet although to a slightly more calorie one to start!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood sugars are notoriously unreliable because of all the outside factors involved. My surgery doesn't do them any more. I would advise you to stop taking yours and concentrate on pre and post meal levels for the time being. Get those right down to non-diabetic levels consistently and your fasting will come down. The more insulin resistant you are, the worse your fasting levels will be, so do all you can to improve the IR. The best indicator of how you are doing in general is your pre-evening meal level (provided you haven't been snacking in the afternoons). Keep an eye on that level and watch for trends up or down.

Lovespud198

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks my lunch and evening meals are generally fine it's just morning and after breakfast is the problem, just worried how it's gone up obviously in the 3 weeks I've been taking readings!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please try not to worry, a lot us rise over the xmas period. Stress also raises blood glucose levels. Just collect the data and use it as inspiration to make changes.

I'm needing some inspiration at the moment and found this collection that includes some of my favourite websites for low carb eating . Look out for Lowcarbyum, I breath I'm hungry, all day I dream about food...

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/25-best-keto-diet-blogs/

Reactions: Arlmy