1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting Questions

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by srobertson06, May 2, 2017.

1. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to the fasting option so I have a few questions - I did not feel too good over the weekend so I went without breakfast - I did eat lunchtime and I then took my morning medication then.

So this morning I decided to test and do the same - so overnight I was 7.2 - after an hour I was 7.5 then just prior to eating lunch 6.0.

So my questions - my fast was around about 15 hours - is this good to start with - hospital said no more than 12 hours but that was with regards to a fasting blood test. I know other's on the site fast for a lot longer - but as someone starting out how long should you go, I was hungry by lunchtime. Will fasting mess up my usual readings? I have my hospital fasting blood tests next week - should I avoid fasting until after this?

Any information would be really useful.

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Did you have anything at all between getting up and lunch time? Drinks?

I skip breakfast every day but I do have a decaff coffee with double cream within 10 minutes of getting out of bed and before doing anything else. I then have a cup of tea mid morning. That works for me and has brought my pre-lunch readings down very significantly. Also I'm not hungry. I sometimes even forget it is lunch time. The fat in the cream has filled me up.

My regime is that I start my evening meal about 7pm and next eat about 1pm the following day.

3. srobertson06

Yes I did have a cup of coffee and some plain water.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Try the coffee with some cream next time. That should stop the hunger.

5. srobertson06

Thank you will do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Generally fasting is one of the most effective way to normalize glucose levels and restore metabolic health...whether you choose intermittent fasting of 16 hours, or extended fast up to 120 hours. They can used for different purposes.

Check out Dr Jason Fung's blog for his insights on bariatric surgery inspired fasting for T2D reversal...
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

But if you are on medication, then you would require medical supervision to make the necessary medical dosage adjustments or take into considerations your other medical conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook