Fat intake for people without a Gallbladder.

Studygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal cruelty of any kind. Non-vegetarian foods.
I have read somewhere that people without a gallbladder (mine was removed 20 years ago) should not eat too much fat on a Keto died. Does anyone know how much fat I should be eating?

I only found out about the Keto eating plan a few weeks ago and want to work out my macros.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read somewhere that people without a gallbladder (mine was removed 20 years ago) should not eat too much fat on a Keto died. Does anyone know how much fat I should be eating?

I only found out about the Keto eating plan a few weeks ago and want to work out my macros.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi @Studygirl , and welcome to the forum!
As far as I know, official advice after gall bladder surgery is to reintroduce fats carefully after surgery to see how you react to them. If no untowards effects, it's all fine.

In my case, I didn't go the 'carefully' way and simply ate a massively fatty meal when I finally was hungry again three days after surgery because I was ravenous and the meal tasted so good.
Nothing happened, so I've never restricted fat intake after.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That advice is frankly outdated and based on the anti fat mythology. Fats will aggravate a diseased gallbladder hence the origin of much similar advice, especially with stones as it makes it work and squeeze. If there’s something wrong it’ll hurt. Thats not the same as causing the initial problem either.

Once it’s gone your body adapts and trickle feeds bile instead of shots of concentrated bile as required. Give it a slow and steady reintroduction and most will cope admirably. The problem often comes when it’s a sudden larger amount the drip feed isn’t expecting.

Many low carbers and ketones have zero issues. it’s not a done deal as you’ve been led to believe.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Just experiment and see how you go.... I have no gall bladder, it had the gall to not work right anymore, so had it removed, but I kinda just eased back into it fat wise.

The advice above is good too.

Reactions: Antje77