Faulty Libres?

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Has anyone ever had problems of Libres coming off within a couple of hours of adding them?

I just sent Abbot France where I’m based an update but have gone through 3 sensors in 3 days and stopped using. It maybe the heat and sweat but that should be factored into the adhesive pad I’ve have thought.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my experience there are a few things which lead to Libre sensors coming off
- bad placement. Most of the time my sensors have fallen off, I have not placed them on a flat part of my arm. It took me a while to realise the obvious fact that they do not bend. I need to ensure my sensor is not placed on a "corner"
- catching the sensor. Some people knock their sensors on door jabs, some catch them on clothing (I have read bra straps are the arch nemesis of Libre senors) and I have caught it with my thumb nail as I turn over in my sleep (but it was on a "corner")
- greasy skin type. Thankfully, I have dry skin so this has not been an issue but some people find the glue does not work as well for them and need some assistance. Tegaderm is very commonly used over the top of Libre senors
- heat. There does seem to be more reports of sensors falling off in the warmer weather. This could be due to sweat or a heat rash but not due to the glue not working in heat.
- water. Prolonged immersion in water can cause the glue to become unstuck. This is longer than a shower or even a relaxing bath. It is an hour or so swimming or relaxing in a jacuzzi.

Considering how popular Libre are and how most of us manage to keep our sensors attached for 14 days or longer in all weathers, I strongly believe the glue is fit for purpose and works well.
If they used a stronger glue, there would be complaints that it is difficult to remove (sometimes, I find it is) and, probably, more people would experience allergic reactions.

Reactions: ianpspurs

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. I did think it was heat but one not on long enough to register it (I leave an hour anyway before activating)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gerry, make sure you clean the skin with a non-greasy agent such as pure alcohol before you apply the sensor. Most hand sanitisers contain moisturisers that are a little like body lotion and thus prevent the sensor from sticking properly.
If you continue to have problems have a look at the internet for covers. I have stick-on covers made from something similar to kinesio tape and use it if I do sports in hot weather, placed my sensor at a slightly daft spot or do jobs with a higher risk of catching the sensor. It works well.