Faulty test strip

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Check before going to bed, after rather carberiferous meal. Meter says 1.6. Shocked. Take 2 dextrosols instantly, wash hands, check again. Meter says 7.9, and then 8.2. I take a correction dose for the 6 carbs I've just eaten.

One of those things, I suppose. Never only have one strip with you.

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
the same goes for me too:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
if I get a "random" low or high test I always do a second test to double check -- saves a correction dose or a carb feed if machine has thrown a wobbly or my fingers were not thoroughly clean

as you have grabbed this condition and look after yourself so well :) I am sure you have things fully in control

Reactions: 6 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there ! The worst offender for this was the cheap meter that I trialled when the practice decided to trot them out :rolleyes: A huge wastage of duff test strips as well as inaccurate reading .

I agree with @himtoo , it's worth the extra test once your heart has recovered from the shock :confused:

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would like to agree with @Heathenlass on the heart shock but am currently suffering hypothermia due to the hoarding of sheep wool in the far north :D:D

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to agree with @Heathenlass on the heart shock but am currently suffering hypothermia due to the hoarding of sheep wool in the far north :D:D

I told you all refugees to the Zombie Apocalypse Bunker would recieve a hand spun and knitted wooly vest, so you only have yourself to blame ! ;):D

Signy

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I told you all refugees to the Zombie Apocalypse Bunker would recieve a hand spun and knitted wooly vest, so you only have yourself to blame ! ;):D

Signy
can't afford the taxi fare :D

hopefully @LucySW will understand the humour even though now she lives in a warmer climate with outdoor eating :D

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure she will ! Where Lucy lives is the same latitude as Bunker Central , only without the Messerschmitt sized midges :D Danmark er kald !

Signy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
if I get a "random" low or high test I always do a second test to double check -- saves a correction dose or a carb feed if machine has thrown a wobbly or my fingers were not thoroughly clean

as you have grabbed this condition and look after yourself so well :) I am sure you have things fully in control

Yes good advice Paul, but when you get a reading of 1.6 like Lucy did its only natural to get some glucose down your neck fast as its a frightening place to be, I once woke on a similar level in my early days of diabetes and remember being in a state of panic.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I sometimes forget I have been doing this for so long it is second nature -- well spotted @noblehead
well done @LucySW for being safe :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Shivering too much to write much - Spring up here is lovely but warm it AIN'T !

Want that lovely wool vest Signy