Faux Pho

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a big fan of pho (vietnamese noodle soup), but given how much carb is in it, and the fact that I'm 2 weeks into a Newcastle diet, this is what I came up with as an acceptable alternative. The key is spiralized zucchini as the noodle substitute. The texture is not quite rice noodle, but it is very tasty.

Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini spiralized
2.5 cups beef base (I used Better than Bouillon, but homemade bone broth would be better)
.5 lbs chopped bok choi
1/4 lb leftover pork tenderloin (that's what I had...beef sirloin would be good)
Handful of chopped Tai basil
sriracha sauce to taste

It's about 11g carb, and under 300 calories. It's a decent substitute for Pho, and is quite filling.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried using konjac noodles? They have zero carbs - again the texture is a little different, but they make a great substitute.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried using konjac noodles? They have zero carbs - again the texture is a little different, but they make a great substitute.
I have not but I will. Thanks for the tip. To be honest though, I find the zucchini pretty satisfactory.

Reactions: LooperCat

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinly sliced green cabbage works well in Faux Pho as well... I actually forgot until I read this post that Pho originally came with noodles...

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Is the 11 carbs total or net carbs and I assume per serving??
I'm a big fan of pho (vietnamese noodle soup), but given how much carb is in it, and the fact that I'm 2 weeks into a Newcastle diet, this is what I came up with as an acceptable alternative. The key is spiralized zucchini as the noodle substitute. The texture is not quite rice noodle, but it is very tasty.

Ingredients:
1 medium zucchini spiralized
2.5 cups beef base (I used Better than Bouillon, but homemade bone broth would be better)
.5 lbs chopped bok choi
1/4 lb leftover pork tenderloin (that's what I had...beef sirloin would be good)
Handful of chopped Tai basil
sriracha sauce to taste

It's about 11g carb, and under 300 calories. It's a decent substitute for Pho, and is quite filling.