1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Favourite Desserts / Sweets which aren't too bad!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Snootybutnice, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Snootybutnice

Snootybutnice Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have a really sweet tooth and although my dieting is relatively recent so I'm quite happy to go without (ish) to keep to my diet, I would really like to know what everyone likes to eat for Dessert or a special treat which is fairly responsible and not likely to massively spike your BS and low in carbs.

From other peoples posts I'm seeing the following "treats":

1. Nellie Dellies - sweet liquorice made from stevia and raw liquorice with no added sugar with 5 carbs per 100gms https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4189eo2BH+L._SX385_.jpg (post from @Freema )
    2. Fat Bombs - http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/24/60-amazing-fat-bomb-recipes (post from @Brunneria )
    3. Ricola and Sula Sweets and Boots 'no added sugar' chocolate caramels, Werthers Original sugar free creamy toffees (post from @Prem51 )
    4. Pukka peppermint and liquorice tea - 0 carbs (post from @Avocado Sevenfold)
    5. 70% or 85% dark chocolate (post from @Cat0409_ ) and 85% dark chocolate (post from @Tabbyjoolz , @JohnEGreen )
    6. Banana and crunchy peanut butter (post from @therower )
    7. A few raspberries/blueberry with cream (me!)
    8. A few nuts - usually a few almond or 1-2 walnuts (me!)
    9. Low carb lemon meringue pies http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/07/22/low-carb-lemon-meringue-pies/ (post from @AndBreathe )
    10. Greek yoghurt with almonds, flax seed and blueberries (post from @Ledzeptt )
    11. Boursin on crackers (post from @Ledzeptt )
    12. Chocolate oat cakes (post from @Ledzeptt )...recipe please @Ledzeptt
    13. Peanut/chocolate/orange zest clusters (post from Avocado Sevenfold) ...recipe please @Avocado Sevenfold
    14. co-yo ice creams - 6 or 7g of carbs per 100g from healthfood shops and Sainsbury's (post from @Jasperville )
    15. home made icecream Cornish style with lots of double or clotted cream, cocoa, other stuff like berries then stick it in the freezer (post from @nottslass )
    16. Not tried but putting it out there....bread and butter pudding made with Lidl protein bread (me!)
    17. small muffin with butter (post from @Brunneria )
    18. Chia seed in almond milk and cocoa (post from @mo53 )
    19. Nectarine, St Agur cheese (post from @debrasue )
    20. Strawberries with yoghurt (post from @mo53 )
    So...can we please add a load more for added inspiration? :) xx

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Snootybutnice, thank you for the mention. My other recent face, inspired by your fruits and cream on a tiny plate, is three strawberries, thinly sliced, crammed into an espresso cup, with a dollop of clotted cream on the top!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Snootybutnice

Gorgeous Tabbyjoolz :-D glad to inspire LOL

..hubby has just come home with some Hartleys jelly for me - mango and passion fruit flavour. It has 9 calories, 0 fat, 1.8 carbs - it does however taste of aspartame so not so nice and has 0 protein. I thought jelly was supposed to be protein coming from bones? Anyway will add cream! ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aww... You have to love the guys who bring you home something 'legal' to eat!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Snootybutnice

he had strict orders @ellagy ...he was talking about chips for himself - told him to go ahead but he felt too guilty LOL ;-) x

6. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bless!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ChrisSamsDad

ChrisSamsDad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eaton Mess - Strawberries (8g Carb per 100g) + half a meringue nest (6g carb) broken up, plus whipped or clotted cream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Don't forget Oppo ice cream as a special treat 7.6g of carbs per 100ml I usually have mine with a few raspberries and some double cream poured over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. @Snootybutnice

13. Peanut/chocolate/orange zest clusters - stir any nuts/peanuts into melted dark chocolate, spoon into teaspoon sized blobs, top with orange or lime zest, put in the fridge.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@bulkbiker where do you buy the Oppo icecream please?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@bulkbiker thank you. I should be able to get it at Holland and Barrett

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook