1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fear my company are starting to build up case for eventual dismissal

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Hibby65, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Hibby65

Hibby65 Type 2 · Active Member

2. Hibby65

Hibby65 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi really sorry to read about what happened to you and well done for sticking up for yourself. I hope that work wise things have fared better for you and that your old company now realise what they are missing.

3. MuntiJay

MuntiJay Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I don't think they can dismiss you, anyway you can sue them

4. JRTwalker

JRTwalker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope things work out well for you Hibby65
    A couple of points I would add, first being is to recognise that companies will rarely show loyalty when push comes to shove and whilst I wouldn't want you to worry, facing that it maybe unwise to trust that they will 'look after' their staff when called upon. They might do but I have learnt not to expect too much. Take advice as others have recommended and ensure that you honour your responsibilities to the book. Employers commonly don't follow their own policies and end up on the wrong side of legal wrangling if they aren't careful.
    Second point relates to your pension and whether there are any special terms included for members if and when the company decides to terminate service on grounds of impaired capability due to ill health and where a valid medical retirement certificate maybe in order? Not suggesting this will apply to you at all but worth knowing if there is anything there that could actually give you enhanced pension should special circumstances ever arise.

5. Australiadiabetic2

Australiadiabetic2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Isnt there a Union that you can join ?

I take it that it is a private org you work for not Govt org ???????

50 sick days over 50 days is not bad,thats 10 sick days per year

How many sick days per year are you entitled to?

Isnt it minimum 8 sick days in a private organisation.?

But with 19 years service you have bigger entitlements so 50 sick days is not bad

I would keep a diary if i was you , they are bluffing you ,

Please give us updated it sounds like your being bullied and discriminated against

If i was you i would be seeking counselling about the trauma they are outting you through with their bluffing you because they are

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Let me see if I can suggest a rather different approach to your problems Hibby.
    I'm 63 and was diagnosed with T2 and a HBA1c of 53 last November. I am a rugby referee and always thought that I was fit and well. My BMI was 28.7 and to be honest, I drank too much and didn't exercise most days. The T2 diagnosis was a big wakeup call to me and I decided to change my lifestyle. I cut out all sugary foods and bad carbs, take at least 30 minutes of fairly vigorous exercise every day and go to the gym three times a week. I don't drink alcohol any more. As a result, my HBA1c is now 40, my BMI 23.8 and I'm fitter than I have been in 30 years. The reason I'm telling you all this is because the changes in my lifestyle haven't only helped my diabetic control, they have transformed my general health. I used to have an atrial fibrillation (hospitalised twice), it's now completely gone, I had asthma, it's gone, irritable bowel syndrome, gone, a nagging bad back, gone. You can spend your time fretting and worrying about your future, you can take legal advice about your rights at work or you can grit your teeth and try to change your life. It may not work, but isn't it worth a try. If you succeed you won't only improve your chances of keeping your job, but you will feel fantastic too.
    Sorry if that sounds like a lecture. It wasn't meant to be. If you had asked me last October if I could make a few changes to my lifestyle and transform my health I would have said no way. It's been hard work, but once I got started I never looked back. I would no more eat an iced cream now than fly in the air. If I can do it at 63, you can do it too. Please have a go and if you do, let me know how you get on. I'm happy to give you support through private messaging.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Australiadiabetic2

What carbs did you cut out ???

And yes i think you told the OP the right thing

8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Hibby65,
    I have been the subject of a constructed resignation attempt here in Oz.
    Whilst i cannot help you with lical knowledge i am glsd you kept detailed notes of your interviews. In my case their was a recorder present whose minutes of meetings were quite based in favour of HR and the boss, such as leaving my replies and counter arguments and rejection of the data presented and sources for the true data and names of witnesses.
    As you have mentioned in your story meetings are often called without notice and any agenda. This appears to be a standover tactic and ambush style common to managment and to be deplored. I was able to use my Union to stop this but noted it in case i needed to prove partiality later.
    The fact that at the forst meeting you noted that HR and others said your diabetes was the cause of your problems is a blatant breach. They have no expertise nor are registered medical practitioners and so are guilty of overreaching their authority. You might wish to make a general enquiry of the GMC to see what their regulations and policies say about unregistered individuals giving medical opinions ! And hold your information close to your chest in case it is needed later. I am unfamiliar with union laws in UK. In Oz the union can obtain legal advice and often have information about similar cases which they can use the knowledge and experience from to negotiate for their members.
    Another tactic which may be allowed is the right to be accompanied to a meeting by a support person. Then it is less daunting than if you have say 4 people at the meeting in a 3 to 1 ratio.
    Finally just as HR will assume the right to record the meeting details, you could ask that yiu make a tape recording for yourself as that way you know exactly what was said and do not hsve to really on memory and possibly biased minutes of meeting.
    Hopefully management have 'gone back into their box' as in Jack or Jill in a box,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I completely cut out white and beige carbs ie rice, bread, pasta and starchy veg like potatoes. I don't eat fruit except for blackberries and strawberries. I absolutely never eat anything sweet like ice creams, sweets etc.

10. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Australiadiabetic2

Hi kitedoc,not sure about Queensland but in NSW there is discrimination Laws against Disability or even perceiving someone has a disability

Of course the employer has the right to ask your medical history if it relates to a safe working type job

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook