Fed up!

JenDig89

Hi, I am type 1 and have been for 19 years. Over the years I have become increasingly frustrated by my diabetes and even if I go through good phases I always go back to eating the wrong things and having high sugars nearly constantly!

I have had numbness in my toe now for the last 3 weeks and am pretty sure that it's because of diabetes. I know I need to use this as a wake up call but still can't find the motivation to do it!

Wondered if anyone had any advice to help me pull myself together!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am type 1 and have been for 19 years. Over the years I have become increasingly frustrated by my diabetes and even if I go through good phases I always go back to eating the wrong things and having high sugars nearly constantly!

I have had numbness in my toe now for the last 3 weeks and am pretty sure that it's because of diabetes. I know I need to use this as a wake up call but still can't find the motivation to do it!

Hello, welcome!
You've come to the rest place to rant. Type 1 is indeed frustrating. I was wondering if you know how to carb count or did a carb counting course for the wrong foods that you've eaten? have you been testing for ketones? Are you coming down with something? or is it that time of the month? Do you correct your high numbers?

Reactions: Marie 2

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I;d say there is lots of negative self-talk here e.g. I always go back to eating the wrong things...can't find the motivation to do it...When you say those things it is like giving an instruction to your brain to behave that way. As a type 1 you do have lots to whinge about however having a pity party won't make you feel proud so I'd
I';d suggest picking a key thing you want to change and just seeing if you can do that thing for a day (e.g. just for 1 day I am going to eat quality foods ). Don't make it a negative e.g. I will not eat x,y z because it then sounds punitive and you'll rebel. If you slip up, and you are bound to, then keep practising that new habit until you are consistently good at it. Whatever you decide to tackle make sure it makes sense strategically (the thing that gives you a bigger bang for your buck).
The toe numbness may not be neuropathy but could you spend £40? on a chiropodist check up? Assuming you don't have a consultant appointment due but if you do then you can ask for a foot check there. Or stay fretting about it....
You don't get motivation from the outside, it actually comes from getting started doing what you need to do, achieving something, feeling proud of i hat and more motivated to carry on.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure you're not the only one who's plagued with such despair and negativity! I'm T2, and it's taught me that I'm way more rubbish at looking after myself than I'd ever realised. Whenever the diabetic nurse starts to tell me what I 'should' be doing, I now ask if brain transplants are on her list of possible treatments. We joke about it, but the truth is that it can be way more difficult for some people to make the changes this asks for than it seems to be for other people. Making any small changes - like acknowledging the problems here - might be the start of something positive for you.