feel like i cant cope

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi all im diagnosed type 2 since 14th feb losing weight steadily my kidneys have slightly less function and i am on a low carb diet im really trying very hard diet wise but sometimes i feel queasy and i hate it its as if its all just hit me how serious this all is im taking it seriously but im devastated

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everybody feels like that at first. Mostly it's because the diagnosis comes as a bit of a shock and you feel you have to do something about it before Tuesday week. There is plenty of time to find some low carb foods that you like and then substitute them for the meals that give you spikes. There is no need to suddenly stop eating or only eating things you don't like. Eat lots of meat and veg while you work it out and discover where the supermarkets hide the good stuff.

Look at the Diet Doctor or the low carb forum on here. You could even join the lowcarb program but they charge £30 for it now so it's not as much fun as it used to be.

Last edited:

Bigbumcooper

hi all im diagnosed type 2 since 14th feb losing weight steadily my kidneys have slightly less function and i am on a low carb diet im really trying very hard diet wise but sometimes i feel queasy and i hate it its as if its all just hit me how serious this all is im taking it seriously but im devastated
I I cried when I found out I had type 2, my first test was 20 and a year later I average between 5.2 and 7 and have really come to terms with this. I think it gave me a massive kick up
The rear!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello there.

Diagnosis hits really hard. I was numb at first and then when it hit me I thought I could do nothing to make things better because all I wanted was for it to just go away. It doesn't go away, instead you decide to deal with it and do you know what? Dealing with it actually turns out to do you a favour. I've learned so much about my own body and knowing stuff has led to me making better decisions that have made me and my Diabetes better. Hang on in there, lass, it does get easier.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometimes i feel queasy

Have you quickly and drastically increased fats? They made me feel sick a bit to start with. (And other digestive issues) I eased up a bit and reintroduced some again a bit more slowly giving my body chance to adjust. About 6 weeks into it I realised it had settled down nicely. We don’t need to stuff ourselves with fats. Just eat enough not to feel hungry. For some that just means ditching the low fat stuff. Some need to add a bit more than that but do it gradually if it makes you nauseous.

DawnOfTheZed

Big hug to you Tracieann
Am 5 months in from diagnosis but had been feeling awful for 18 months before then.

A bit of biology here as way of explanation for you to be easier on yourself:
glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) is haemoglobin (hb) with extra glucose attached to it. Once the extra glucose has attached, it mostly stays there making the hb less efficient in transporting Oxygen to cells. Less O2, more feeling ill. This is permanent for that particular hb molecule. The good news is that hb gets renewed every 2 - 3 months, quicker the younger you are.
So even if you are 'perfect' in your diet, it will take at least 6 weeks but probably more like 3 months for your hb to be less glycated and work more efficiently. It took me 4 months to start to have more energy than I've had for the last 2 years. My hba1c went from 54 to 42 in 3 months (UK units, sorry I can't convert. I think it's about 7% to 5.4%?) but I still felt a little fatigued 3 months in. I should also say many others have done much better here than me.
I actually started feeling improved within a few weeks of going low carb but my starting point was SO low that it took 4 months to feel a little like my old self again.

So with the above in mind, please take it easy! It's gonna be a marathon rather than a sprint, etc. Hope things keep improving for you. Best wishes.

(I'd be happy to be corrected by one of the more experienced members here if I got anything incorrect in the bio bit above. I'm still learning.)

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Trust me I know how it feels, I was 28 and I didn't accept it so I ended up eating worse than ever and got hit with the really bad news. So now in the year of my 30th year on this planet I am making all the right changes, I'm physically healthier than most of my friends and losing weight I've had since my teen years. Going low carb has so many benefits and I feel it is how everyone should be eating, take it as your body giving you a warning to look after it and go forwards with your head held high. We are all here to help you do that.

M

Member496333

Echo what everyone else has said. It sucks at first but honestly it gets much easier. I’ve only done two laps of the Sun since my diagnosis and already I’m happier and healthier than I have ever been in my entire adult life. Genuinely wouldn’t turn the clock back even if I could.

Best wishes.

phlippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi Tracieann, I was diagnosed about 3 yrs ago and battled with my weight for ages. Last year I signed up to a program called the 60 day fat loss revolution and I’ve totally reversed my diabetes! Lost 2 stone and a metre off my body! My only issue is that I now hypo at the drop of a hat, but I’m hoping this won’t be forever! It took me ages to realise the severity of diabetes and the impact it had on my body, once the penny dropped though, I decided to get it sorted! It is achievable with the right attitude and support!
I hope you get it all sorted hun, you just have to find the right moment to turn it all around x

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
i cannot believe how amazing you people are thank you so much for all your replies and support i am just coming to terms with it all i guess i will get there im sure guess its a time thing thank you once again x