Feel like I've just been diagnosed 40 years in.

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Had enough of poor control and struggling with my cycle commute to work (30km) each way, so taken matters into my own hands and learnt more on diabetes control this weekend than I have ever been advised by doctors or hospital.

Now calculated what my calculated 'Total Daily Dosage' should be (weight in kg x 0.55), by deducting my basal (Lantus) units to determine how many units I then need per meal, then balance/3 (breakfast, lunch & dinner).

Also now calculated the 500 rule (500/total daily dosage) to workout how many carbs 1 unit of Novorapid will burn off and finally the 100 rule (100/total daily dosage) values to determine my insulin sensitivity. So I know what my BG level should reduce by, for every unit I inject.

Fingers crossed the calculations work, they certainly equate correctly.

Also now experimenting with feeding delays & Novorapid:
Breakfast = eat 20 minutes after injecting.
Lunch & dinner = eat 10 minutes after injecting.

Now my basal rate is spot on (after basal fasting for 7 hr periods over separate days at different points (morning, afternoon & evening) to confirm flat line BG results), these tests are proving really useful and after eating lunch today my BG did exactly as I calculated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51
S

Shar67

We can always learn I bet you have knowledge over those 40 years that will help someone, let us know how it works out

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks Shar67, results this afternoon which is where I normally crash have been truly amazing, my figures appear to be spot on.
Will keep this updated in a week to see how this works out.
Really thankful to have this resolved and so wish I had this insight earlier.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I've been at it for nearly 55 years,and,yes I am still learning.Every now and again this **** disease throws a curved ball!

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great @Julian_Hands. So glad your effort is paying off :)

Just bear in mind that, as @yingtong says, there can always be a curve ball. If you get an odd result don't get disheartened - keep up the good work and also remember there will be plenty of support here when you need it

Reactions: azure