Feeling bad...

jmaeve

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to diabetes. I was diagnosed T2 around ten years ago, got it under control, but recently went for a blood test and found it lost control, for, don't know how long. Went to see a doctor immediately after I got the report for the blood test, was given metformin 500mg x2 daily.

Started to have diarrhea for like a week since the day I started taking metformin, and the following week, I begin to have some kind of weird feeling in my feet. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. I went back to see the doctor again after a week, and told him about all these and asked him about my feet's condition. He pressed on my thumbs to see how quickly the thumbs got back to red from white (hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say). He said my feet are quite fine, the blood are flowing, but regarding the cold and hot issue, what I got from him was "Let's just observe first. Come back to me if you're having edema " or swollen, I'm not so sure about the exact word since English isn't my first language.

I continued to take the metformins, until like two days later, the weird feeling in my feet got really strong, making me feeling very uncomfortable. I stopped taking the metformins after I read some articles from Internet saying that metformin can cause neuropathy which I'm not so sure about is it what I'm experiencing, without asking the doctor. I still have that weird feeling, but not as strong as the time I was taking metformins.

Anyone experienced this before? Will the weird feeling go away? I'm so worried now, hope that I can get some support and help here.

Edited:
Forgot to mention that I had diarrhea again for one or two days before that weird feeling got strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what sort of numbers are you having. Neuropathy can be a sign of high blood glucose numbers, and its just coincidental that you started metformin at the same time.

jmaeve

what sort of numbers are you having. Neuropathy can be a sign of high blood glucose numbers, and its just coincidental that you started metformin at the same time.

Last night 1.5 hours after dinner my reading was 7.9. The other day was 8.1 in the morning before breakfast, probably because I had some durians... but during that weird feeling period my readings were around 5.9 to 8 the highest. The reading on my report was around 12 and the hba1c was around 11.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to diabetes. I was diagnosed T2 around ten years ago, got it under control, but recently went for a blood test and found it lost control, for, don't know how long. Went to see a doctor immediately after I got the report for the blood test, was given metformin 500mg x2 daily.

Started to have diarrhea for like a week since the day I started taking metformin, and the following week, I begin to have some kind of weird feeling in my feet. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. I went back to see the doctor again after a week, and told him about all these and asked him about my feet's condition. He pressed on my thumbs to see how quickly the thumbs got back to red from white (hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say). He said my feet are quite fine, the blood are flowing, but regarding the cold and hot issue, what I got from him was "Let's just observe first. Come back to me if you're having edema " or swollen, I'm not so sure about the exact word since English isn't my first language.

I continued to take the metformins, until like two days later, the weird feeling in my feet got really strong, making me feeling very uncomfortable. I stopped taking the metformins after I read some articles from Internet saying that metformin can cause neuropathy which I'm not so sure about is it what I'm experiencing, without asking the doctor. I still have that weird feeling, but not as strong as the time I was taking metformins.

Anyone experienced this before? Will the weird feeling go away? I'm so worried now, hope that I can get some support and help here.

Edited:
Forgot to mention that I had diarrhea again for one or two days before that weird feeling got strong.
Are you drinking plenty of water. Are you able to walk much? Walking and water can be very very beneficial.

jmaeve

Are you drinking plenty of water. Are you able to walk much? Walking and water can be very very beneficial.

Water... hmm I don’t think I’m drinking enough water. Probably 2 liters a day. As for walk, I usually go for a 3-5km walk six days a week. Used to walk faster at first, but slowed down a bit since last week. Worrying about my knees. Heard some noise and was given glucosamine by the same doctor. The doctor also advised me to go for some cycling. Any idea will that hurt or help my knees? The park that I went walking the path is.. Erm tarmac? Just like roads... The doctor said that’s not really a good path for walking. True? Might need to consider to go to a gym.

Oh ya, which is better actually? Exercise/ Walk before or after the dinner? I used to walk before dinner, at around 530pm, and have my dinner at 7. Sorry for having so many questions.

jmaeve

I'm trying to lose some weight using the low carbs method, starting probably tomorrow or Thursday. Need some time for preparation, there are carbs everywhere here at my place! And it's hard to buy the ingredients sometimes. Went to market this morning to buy some tomatoes and spinach, was told they're out of stock. Shocked.

I looked for some recipes, or menu samples. They're mostly bacon and eggs, grilled chicken, beef, cheese and etc. I don't eat beef and I'm not a cheese lover, so basically left me with bacon and chickens and fish and prawns? But my cholesterol was in the too high range according to an article I read from netdoctor.....

Any recommended recipes, please? No beef, no cheese, no lamb, no milk................

Reactions: Freema

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the Forum, jmaeve! Check out dietdoctor.com for great information on low carb eating, recipes, etc. There are umpteen sites for recipes - another one is all day long I think about food - I think that is it! Anyway, google low carb recipes and you will find lots of recipes that don't include beef or cheese. Hope you find what you are looking for and hope you are feeling better real soon. Blessings/L

jmaeve

Welcome to the Forum, jmaeve! Check out dietdoctor.com for great information on low carb eating, recipes, etc. There are umpteen sites for recipes - another one is all day long I think about food - I think that is it! Anyway, google low carb recipes and you will find lots of recipes that don't include beef or cheese. Hope you find what you are looking for and hope you are feeling better real soon. Blessings/L

Hi there! Thank you for the warm welcome, blessings and reminder that I can google for the recipes! How did I forget that I could google them!

Found a few interesting ones today, gonna keep looking for them again to make my low carb life tasty and healthy!

Reactions: lindijanice

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome here keeping blood glucose low in general is also essential to avoid neuropathy so it is hard to say why you have those sensations in your legs , But the best you can do is to keep on your Daily walks and also count your carbs and eat less than 150 grams a day or even lower than a 100 grams a day to get normal blood glucose again and start measuring again so you know if you do enough to lower your numbers .

If you get your numbers down enough by eating very few carbs you probably won’t need metformin

By the way statins also can create muscle hurt and weird sensation in the body in some People

jmaeve

Welcome here keeping blood glucose low in general is also essential to avoid neuropathy so it is hard to say why you have those sensations in your legs , But the best you can do is to keep on your Daily walks and also count your carbs and eat less than 150 grams a day or even lower than a 100 grams a day to get normal blood glucose again and start measuring again so you know if you do enough to lower your numbers .

If you get your numbers down enough by eating very few carbs you probably won’t need metformin

By the way statins also can create muscle hurt and weird sensation in the body in some People

Hi there. Thanks for the welcome. Yea I’m trying to do it now. Hope that I can be like many of you here, don’t need to take medications anymore.

Thanks for the info, Googled statin and found it’s medication for cholesterol. The doctor didn’t give me any statin, only Metformin.